1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply Cables

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phyxiis, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phyxiis

Phyxiis Thread Starter

I have a Thermaltake Black Widow 850W modular power supply in my current computer. I have been looking for hours trying to find the right product for my question.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153106

My PSU uses 8-pin PCI-e power to power all connected devices (ex. 8-pin PCI-e connection at the PSU to a cable with SATA connectors for hard drives, etc).

My question is: are there cables somewhere that are PCI-e (6 pin or 8-pin) to cables with SATA connectors on the other end to power HDD?

All I can find are cables that are SATA to PCI-e (the cable that is connected to the PSU is SATA and transfers the power to a device using a PCI-e like a GPU)

http://cdw.com

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The specs for your pw supply show 7 sata pw connectors. Why not simply use those?

3. Phyxiis

Phyxiis Thread Starter

I don't need one cable with 4 or 5 sata connectors on there when I only need 2. I would like psu->pcie connector->1 or 2 sata power connectors->my 1 or 2 hard drives... Hope that makes sense

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well it now makes sense however I have never seen what you are asking about. Just use the sata connector and tie up the unused ones; store the tied up connectors in an unused 5 1/4" bay.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's actually technical reasons why such cables don't exist. PCI-Express connectors only carry 12 volt, no 3.3 or 5 volt that a SATA power connector has. Plus graphics card draw huge amounts of power and they are best not shared with other devices on the same cable.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1117231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice