Power Supply Causing Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

heyjim

Hello everyone,
Just last night while I was using my computer, the power supply shorted... there was a "bang" type noise that came from it, I quickly pulled out the power from the computer. Right afterwards it smelt like smoke and such. I acquired a new power supply and put it in, hooked it back up to the motherboard and there is power flowing now, but the motherboard isn't responding. When I turn it on, it doesn't boot. When I disconnect the drives and such to see if the motherboard would respond by beeping, it doesn't. Now I'm puzzled about what to do, it's an Intel Pentium 4 2.5 GHz machine, the new power supply I put in is 480 Watts in comparison to the old one that was 300 Watts.

So now here's my situation, what should I do? It seems like the motherboard is shot, or maybe even the CPU. Is there anything I can do to my current board and CPU to maybe see if it could work again? Will I have to buy a new motherboard and CPU? And finally, do you think anything else is shot, like memory for example?

Thanks in advanced,
Jim

Triple6

Rob
Your motherboard likely got blown out as well. Your CPU is most likely fine. You should test the other components to see if they work. Sometimes the drives and memory can get damaged as well for such an event.

heyjim

Thanks for the quick response! I'll get a new motherboard and test out the CPU, if it works then that's great. Thanks again :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts