Power Supply Demands

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

agtjamesb007

I know the debate rages on....
I recently purchased an upgraded video card, a Nvidia geforce gtx 650ti 1gb gddr5 for my dell xps 410.
its has windows 7 64 bit, My CPU an Intel Core 2 duo 6400 @ 2.13GHz.
I have 4 Gb of DDR2 RAM is PC2-6400 400MHz (so I guess it just runs it as DDR2-800)
1 120Gb SSD
1 240..something? gb HDD
1 DVD Rom R/R-W
a 375w psu

The new video card recommends 400w psu. I have heard that psu's are under rated, and sometimes the gpu's are over rated.

Do you think it will cause an issue? What would happen if the psu were to overload? Just a shutdown or are the components at risk?

any help is appreciated!

I know the debate rages on....
I recently purchased an upgraded video card, a Nvidia geforce gtx 650ti 1gb gddr5 for my dell xps 410.
its has windows 7 64 bit, My CPU an Intel Core 2 duo 6400 @ 2.13GHz.
I have 4 Gb of DDR2 RAM is PC2-6400 400MHz (so I guess it just runs it as DDR2-800)
1 120Gb SSD
1 240..something? gb HDD
1 DVD Rom R/R-W
a 375w psu

The new video card recommends 400w psu. I have heard that psu's are under rated, and sometimes the gpu's are over rated.

Do you think it will cause an issue? What would happen if the psu were to overload? Just a shutdown or are the components at risk?

any help is appreciated!
First and foremost, when a manufacture recommends a minimum wattage for a PSU , it is good thing to have that minimum + extra. Therefore , yes you will be required to update your power supply to I would recommend 650 watts (I recommend corsair).

If you overload your PSU, a fuse within the PSU will blow and will cause your computer to shut down.
If that 375W is the original PSU that came with your computer, it is most probably a cheap branded PSU meaning that if it gets overloaded , it will be fried for good and won't be able to handle the overload. This can cause serious damage to your motherboard and could potentially damage other components on the computer.

Also, I noticed that your computer does have PCI express x16 but its not 3.0. The graphics card you mention is PCI Express x16 3.0 . Not that there will be a problem , since it's backwards compatible, but the speeds will be downgraded to PCI Express 1.1. Just won't be taking full advantage of the speeds.

Hope that helps.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm guessing the reason for the video card is because you want to use that Dell XPS 410 for gaming.

Besides the power supply issue, I see another issue.

It has an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz processor and DDR2 RAM.

It having an Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00 GHz+ (or even an Intel Core 2 Quad) processor and DDR3 RAM would be better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

agtjamesb007

Its not for hardcore demanding games. Typically older ones. I am just trying squeeze a little more life out of my system, and it would be nice if i could bring some of the components into a newer system if and when that happens.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online