1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power supply died, backup won't work.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by afellowinneed64, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afellowinneed64

afellowinneed64 Thread Starter

Bit of a long story for this but bear with me.

I was playing a game this past sunday when my main pc lost it's power, after it died I heard what sounded like metal hitting metal within my case, I took my power supply out and took it apart to find what looked like a coil wrapped around a plastic tube, half burned, so I guess it melted itself off. It was my fault as the inside had tons of dust clogging the fans and vents. Luckily I had a backup for just such a problem, I borrowed the power supply within this secondary pc, it has a 1000watt psu(sli ready) whereas my old had a 600w(also sli ready), I figured it would be a more than suitable temporary psu until the replacement I ordered arrived.

However for whatever reason it won't work in my main pc, whenever I boot it up, everything seems fine but after so much time of being in use the pc just loses power. If I do nothing it will stay on, if I do anything other than idling it loses power. If I scan using MSE it always crashes around 7 minutes or so of scanning but spybot can scan completely, if I browse it tends to take a bit longer to crash (around 30 minutes more or less). I have ran a temperature detector in the background as I scanned and did other things and nothing ever went above 50C so I'm fairly certain that it isn't a heat problem.

To be honest I've been pretty lucky with most of my past pc's, I've had this one for about 8 1/2 months and other than a few random crashes this has been the only problem I have had with it thus far.

I'm not particularly tech savvy, but by my power supply burning out like it did, could it have short circuited or damaged the motherboard/any of my other parts?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    THat is frequently a result of a power supply burning out. Especially if it was a lower quality manufacturer PSU

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Agreed, a PSU blowing can easily (and quite often does) take other components with it unfrotunately. However, you have some functionaltiy (i.e. it boots and runs to a degree) so all may not be lost.

First things I would look at are the RAM mondules. Either take them all out and test them individually in the machine to see if it crashes with one in particular, also test each one on its own in each of the RAM slots incase the fault is the slot itself on the motherboard.

You can also download the bootable ISO image of memtest86 here. Burn it to CD then boot from that CD and run a full set of memory tests, let the tests run for at least 2 full passes to see if it reports any errors. Be aware these tests can take several hours to complete.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1066883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice