1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power supply died, now monitor will not power on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tmtcox, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tmtcox

tmtcox Thread Starter

My power supply died a few days ago and I have replaced it. My PC will now boot but will not send a signal (turn on) the monitor. Everything on the PC seems to work but it just will not turn on signal to the monitor. I have tried two different monitors with the same result.

Help!?!?!

Thanks,

Tod

2. RandyG

RandyG

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

Sounds like your video card may be shot or unsettled. Is it an onboard video chip, or do you have a seperate PCI or AGP card in a slot?

If it is a card, then remove it from the slot and plug it back in, then try it. If it still does not work, try to borrow a card from someone and try it. If it works, buy a new card. If it doesn't, the slot is bad. If it's a pci card, try it in a different slot, if it's an agp slot, then buy a PCI card or a new motherboard.

If it's a chip, buy or borrow a graphics card. make sure you check to see if you have an agp slot first, before you buy an agp card, as a lot of motherboards with onboard graphics do not have an agp slot.

3. ilusha2

ilusha2 Guest

Hey tntcox. Welcome to TSG. I don't really agree with Randy, even though he's a higher member than myself, and he's probably more experienced. No offense, Randy. Maybe Randy is right, I don't know. It could be the video card, but most likely it's the Power Supply, because it's obviously what you replaced, so it's most likely the problem. I'm just thinking logically.

This is what we must do -- I want to know -- what power supply did you have (any details) -- company, wattage (power), etc., and what kind did you buy? What kind of computer do you have (motherboard, RAM, processor, etc.? This is what we need to know for now. And one thing that I thought of in the very beginning -- do you know if there are supposed to be any special connectors from the PS to the Video Card? Or anything else that's supposed to be connected from the PS to the motherboard that's unique with your computer?

4. ilusha2

ilusha2 Guest

I asked about the PS because maybe your power supply isn't exactly what you need for your computer, it could be not powerful enough to power all the components. Like, maybe you had a 350 Watt PS, and now you got a 200 Watt. You understand? Or anything else could be wrong.

I asked about your computer for the same reason -- maybe your computer isn't really compatible with your PS. I know that PSs are mostly universal basically, but there can be slight problems.

5. RandyG

RandyG

Hiya ilusha2 - just cause I've been here longer maybe means I know more about how this forum operates, but definitley shouldn't imply I know more about computers.

You have a very good point about the PS limitations and using a lower wattage, but I also think the Graphics card could have a problem, especially since the original PS blew.

Onboard graphics are the easiest things to lose. I sorta made an asuumption that tmtcox replaced the blown PS with an equal or better PS, not a lower one. I shouldn't assume!!:D

6. tmtcox

tmtcox Thread Starter

My PC is a PIII 667 with 256 RAM Win98 SE, generic and built by me about 2 years ago. No major problems until now. The old PS was 250 Watt ATX generic. The new one is a CompUSA brand 300 Watt certified for AMD, P4, etc. I do not think it specifically says it is compatible with PIII, should it not be?

When I replaced the old PS, I made new connections one at a time with the new PS, so I believe everything is connected exactly as before.

Fyi, the video card is an ATI Rage (I think it is the all-in-one model).

My next step was going to be replacing the video card, so it sounds like I am on track. As for the BIOS, how can I check this with out having the monitor display?

Thanks so much for the info from both of you.

7. ilusha2

ilusha2 Guest

No prob. We all enjoy helping people here, I spend my time here on purpose just to help people, I feel proud because I can help someone with their problem, it feels good, you know, because I feel that I know enough, and someone else might not know how to deal with the problem? Plus, I'm getting a lot of experience.

Well, the power supply is good, hmm. Did your monitor work fine right before you replaced the PS? And it stopped working right after? Well, I guess you should try replacing the video card, don't buy a new one, just borrow one from a friend or something. Or just buy a really cheap one to test. About the BIOS -- I don't really think you can do anything, you obviously need to be able to see what you're doing.

8. tmtcox

tmtcox Thread Starter

I tried another video card, PCI (my other was an AGP) and the same thing happened. I also tried to boot from floppy. The computer seems to not go through the boot process. The red disk light on the case stays solid red but I do not here disk activity.

Could it be my power supply and HD both died?

Thanks

9. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hear any beeps other than the one when you start up? That's one clue as to what problem might be.
    [Edit> Had a pm from tmtcox- no beeps at startup. ]

Another thing to try: There may be a jumper setting that will change to PCI from AGP- maybe if you take a look at your mobo manual....see it online from friend's computer if you do not have it.

Sometimes, it is not only a BIOS setting to switch over to PCI graphics adapter. Have you tried any other open PCI slots- that can make a difference. Reseat RAM, too. Sure you got all cables on tight and positioned right? (The red light on hard disk drive seems peculiar....maybe you loosened one end, to motherboard port or on the drive itself....) Pin1=red stripe, etc...
    Try other free hard drive connectors from power supply.

10. RandyG

RandyG

Unplug everything, cards, memory, cables, processor, etc from the motherboard. Plug it all back in. make sure that all connections are secure.

Now try it.

A common problem with adding new bits, or after a PS blow out is that the system does not work afterwards. This is caused by many things, but most common is a component becomes slightly unseated, and you egt nothinh happening.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/96101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice