1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply Died, Replaced With Old One

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sethisto, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sethisto

Sethisto Thread Starter

I built this new computer about a month ago.
    core i5 2500k
    GTX 570
    8gb of ram
    Windows 7
    Old Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

It's a pretty by the book build. Last night though, I walked into my room and noticed the power off, and it wouldn't turn on. I opened it up, checked all the connectors, gave it another shot, and nothing.

My old computer had a 750 watt Cooler Master (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171024) in it, so i took that out and tossed it into the new system while I wait for OCZ To send me a new PSU. Everything seemed great, I did my normal tasks for the rest of the night. When I launched Battlefield 3 though, the PSU actually makes a very odd buzzing noise. I don't remember this at all from my old computer. The red warning light doesn't go on or anything, it just buzzes. It also happens in Dungeon Defenders. The second I turn either game off, it stops.

Right now I'm back to basic tasks, but is this just due to the extra load from the new system? My old computer probably could have run fine off something much weaker than 750w (it had 8800 gt / Q6600), so I'm wondering if this it's just finally getting a workout or something. It has always run fine, I'm not sure why it would act up in the new comp. I'm sort of stuck until OCZ Gives me a replacement. Is it safe to run this thing?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If its buzzing I wouldn't run it. While 750 Watts should be enough the PSU could be failing or you could have a problem with the power in your house, bad ground or something that is causing the problem and possibly on high loads only. Or it could just be a bad luck.

3. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

All power supplies buzz. It happens in the transformer(s) inside the supply as the magnetic flux changes direction with the current. The presence of this flux causes the windings to expand. Since the flux is constantly reversing direction, the windings expand, then relax, then expand again, then relax...and so forth. We hear this as a buzz out of the supply.

In a modern supply, that mechanism is controlled well enough that usually we don't hear it without putting our ears next to the supply, and generally we'll perceive it as a higher frequency buzz or whine due to the nature of modern switching power supplies.

So the buzzing could merely mean that this particular supply's windings are moving more than most when the supply is heavily loaded (thus the currents are large). Or it could mean that the power supply transformer and/or case is in hard contact with something that works as a sounding board. This would be innocuous.

Other things that cause buzzing include leaking filter capacitors, or sometimes internal arcing within the supply...in the transformer or in a capacitor usually. Such buzzing is most certainly NOT innocuous and heralds a failure.

Which kind of buzzing is yours? Obviously, I can't tell from here though I could tell instantly if I heard it myself. Probably just transformer windings moving. Probably...but not certainly.

Coolermaster makes a decent supply. Not the best, but decent. I didn't find an acceptable review of your particular PS, but where Coolermasters commonly fall down is in maintaining low noise and ripple as they approach their maximum load. I have a Coolermaster GS 750 here in my workstation and it works well...but it is usually loaded a bit less than 50% and when my system is working hard it gets a bit above 60%. With your system and that video card, running a demanding game, you are running it at a much higher fraction of its max power rating. For this reason, this might not be a good supply for you but I cannot say for sure.

4. Sethisto

Sethisto Thread Starter

Hmm, I might need to just wait for the power supply to be replaced from OCZ then. This coolermaster one actually has a ticking sound too now, even when the computer is completely off. I guess it's just not agreeing with the new comp.

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

My suggestion would be that you print jiml8's response multiple times, run the copies through a paper shredder, and use the results as kitty litter. If you don't have cats, ignore that suggestion, and in any event, ignore jiml8's remarks about power supply noise being normal. Beyond fan noise, your power supply should do it's job without being audible. I would definitely take the system off line immediately, toss the old PSU into the dumpster, and wait on the replacement. Or buy a new PSU and keep the replacement on hand as a back up or use it in another build.

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

jiml8, I guessing that in this instance, when Sethisto complains about noise from the power supply, he means that it is audible from a normal working position and he isn't crawling around on his hand and knees, sticking his ear against the PSU.

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

My suggestion would be that you go buy a hearing aid. Or, maybe, your hearing aid is firewalled off so that it isn;t working.

Find me a power supply that uses a magnetic mechanism to transform voltage that doesn't buzz. I defy you to do that. And your (a) deafness and (b) ignorance will not constitute an acceptable excuse for not hearing the buzz.

Yours constitutes one of the more stupid, clueless, and obnoxious responses I've ever encountered on this board, though I suppose it ranks with your insistence that firewalls are useless.

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

That would be "I'm guessing", but I guess someone with your intense and thorough knowledge will say it isn't necessary to use proper grammar.

I'll just put you on ignore. Seems the best thing.

9. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

The only thing I can think of that would make a ticking noise is an arc. That's really bad news.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Both of you need to calm down, no need for personal attacks or name calling if you disagree with someone's view. Name calling and insults will not be tolerated.

Jiml8, I'm sure there's a difference between a quiet buzz from a transformer to one a person would hear sitting at a normal distance from a power supply mounted in a case while playing a game. I've never heard a loud buzz from a computer power supply that I have considered to be normal.

11. Sethisto

Sethisto Thread Starter

I'm still waiting on OCZ to get back to me after sending the receipt in. I have a feeling this RMA process is going to be a massive pain. I Might just go pick up an 850 from best buy or something.

12. prunejuice

prunejuice

I've RMA'd before and once with OCZ. They're not so bad in that respect.

Good luck with your project.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice