1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

power supply died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by colargol, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colargol

colargol Thread Starter

Hi all,

my power supply died two days ago. By chance, everything else seems in
    order, except for the USB ports which act strangely.

I bought a new power supply and installed it. The computer boots normally
    and the OS starts without a problem when there is no USB devices plugged to
    the motherboard.

If I try to plug something to the USB ports while the computer is on, there
    is no problem and all my USB devices work fine.

But if I boot with the USB devices plugged to the motherboard, the computer
    doesn't even try to boot (nothing happens when I press the power button).

Someone have a hint?

If the USB ports are not working properly, should I change the motherboard (in case it blows up something else with time) or just disable USB ports and buy a PCI USB card?

Thanks!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Did you replace the power supply with one that was of the same type and rating for your motherboard? Some Athlons (assuming that's what you have) have problems if the supply isn't Athlon rated. Does it have the same or higher wattage rating as your old one?

3. colargol

colargol Thread Starter

I have a Celeron processor. I replaced the power supply with an Enermax 300 watts PS (I think my old one was 250 watts, and it was a no name).

I know for sure the new power supply is okay with my hardware. I'm just wondering if:

- is there a chance the USB ports are damaged (then I can disable and install a PCI USB card)
    - is there a chance the motherboard is damaged (obviously, there's a problem because I can't boot with USB devices connected to the motherboard, but the USB ports still work) and it can damage other components
    - is it only a problem in a setup somewhere (like in the BIOS), but I reloaded the defaults in the BIOS, so I bet it is a physical problem...

4. wedor

wedor

Did you take the motherboard out of the case at any time during this? or remove the plate by the ports?

5. colargol

colargol Thread Starter

What I did is:

- unplugged all cables from old power supply
    - remove old power supply
    - install new power supply
    - unplugged everything from the motherboard (all cards, memory, cpu and cables, but didn't touch the USB ports as they are part of the motherbpard)
    - put back everything one by one (booting at each time to verify if the component still works)

Everything went fine. It's only when I pushed the power button and the USB cable was in the USB port that it didn't start.

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

Mobo South bridge might have suffered some damage. Or is your USB connectors rather close to your Power connectors (some of them are right behind the USB ports). Have you checked out your Par & Ser. ports? Understand that if your hardware is damage, it could get worse over time and use. I think the failure of a modem damaged the Mobo on a friend's computer last month. Because of the age of his machine, he needed almost a whole new computer. (minus drives)

- $50 USB card

or

- Plug in USB devices when needed.

or

- $75~100 for an 815 Mobo to continue using your Celeron CPU

or

- $200 for new VIA board with 1ghz AMD & 256mb of RAM. With option to upgrade to 2ghz AMD.

7. wedor

wedor

The reason I asked is that there are little metal "fingers" on the plate near the ports, if one of them was in the USB port instead of next to it where it belongs, it can cause the problem you are describing.

8. colargol

colargol Thread Starter

Ok... Thanks everyone!

I think I found out what was the problem (although it is hard to determine anything in this context). I had a 4 USB ports hub plugged (with its own power source).

After trying to boot with each of my USB devices separately (mouse, joystick, printer and camera), and then all the four together (with the PCI card giving me two other USB ports), I discovered it worked. I then tried the hub alone, and it worked when its power cable was disconnected. As soon as I was trying to boot with the hub plugged to the computer, and the power source plugged to the hub, it wouldn't boot.

I guess the hub is now defective.

I'll get another one and return the PCI card as I prefer the hub (it gives me longer cables).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/81764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice