1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

power supply fan runs hot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tigger3, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tigger3

tigger3 Thread Starter

Don't know if this is an issue or what. I had problems with one of my systems. it appeared that the power supply had gone bad. after posting here I replaced the power supply and that seemed to correct the original problem. Now, I get a smell from the fan. but figure that could be normal. But today, I noticed the back of the system was quite warm and the computer appeared to freeze. I turned on the system let it run for about an hour or so unattended and when i went to use if for internet search, the internet would not come up and noticed nothing else would open either. thats when I also noticed the fan was running but was warm or rather hotter then when I first had it replaced. This also seems to run hotter then my other two systems.
    The original power supply was a 300w and this one is according to the box a 450w. So wouldn't that make it run cooler?
    any thoughts?
    I will usually turn on what ever system I think I would be working on for the day in the morning, this particular system generally will on mostly when I need to print something out.
    :confused:

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

What is the EXACT make and model of the power supply you installed. Post a link to it.

3. tigger3

tigger3 Thread Starter

had it done by a computer repair place. the box states: Echo Star 450W Gamer SATA Fan ATX power supply.
    don't understand - post a link to it?

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

This is a link;
    http://www.outletpc.com/c0841.html

The only way I can describe that power supply is pure junk. If it smells hot I wouldn't even run it. Many times those cheap power supply's will fail and when they fail they may take out the motherboard with them and possibly other components.

5. tigger3

tigger3 Thread Starter

pure junk! ? that's great. it was an expensive pure junk then. well, can't afford to replace that with something else.
    anyway, I turned off the system for about an hour, and turned it on again about an hour ago. it seems to be running okay now. as far as the heat goes.
    I'll keep a watch on it, though. it's not my main system anyways. it usually is on only and or for mostly when I need something printed or when I'm doing scrapbooking, have two systems set up for the one printer and that is the only place for the printer cuz the main system there is no room in that room for a printer. thanks

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I don't especially enjoy telling someone a product they purchased in pure junk, but I believe in calling a spade a spade.

Here is what I consider a mid-range power supply, i.e. not the best, not the worst. Compare them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

ThermalTake unit $33.99 (after mail in rebate) Don't fall for the free shipping gimmick. Twice the power with a 5 year limited warranty.

Echo Star $15.88. 30 day warranty.

Having been in the building and repair business for quite a few years, I can tell you the component most likely to fail in a machine is the power supply. As I previously stated when a power supply fails sometimes you can get away with just a new power supply. Other times when the failure occurs it will take out other machine components. If you check the archives at this site or other sites you can find hundreds of cheap power supply failures.

Good luck.

7. replay

replay

i personally would not go back to that repair shop ever again! ............. they know they are installing sub par componants and do not care......... they just want to get paid
    how much did they charge u for this "service"

8. tigger3

tigger3 Thread Starter

total charge was 130.00 they cleaned out the inside so it looks shiny and new. I think the power supply itself was around 50.00.
    and now my system does a checkdisk consistency every time I turn on the pc also. I read somewhere on here about the registry to remove that or something.

9. replay

replay

10. tigger3

tigger3 Thread Starter

figures

11. tigger3

tigger3 Thread Starter

it was just I didn't have time to do a good search or research. needed system up and running asap for project. live and learn I say. guess that was an expensive lesson for me. :)

12. adrianr2z

adrianr2z

130$ ... damn dude you got ripped off.
    For 130$, you could get yourself a corsair 600 Watt power supply
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=422166&Sku=C13-2814.
    Plus , you could've bought yourself a can of compressed air and cleaned out the computer yourself.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6129697&CatId=34.
    Total of both of those would be 75.98$ before tax and shipping. That could've been lots of money saved with much better quality parts :/ You learn from your mistakes...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/997797