1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power supply fan too loud

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Corvette, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Corvette

Corvette Thread Starter

Never had this noise before but now its making a lot of noise. Its annoying. Usually my PC is quiet, but this thing is loud all the sudden. When I get the noise, I shut off my PC and start it up and the noise is gone for about 5-10 minutes then it comes back again! I can pick up the front of the case with 4 fingers and drop it (no damage btw) and get a break in that noise. If I do that multiple times it goes to normal sound for a few min. WTF is going on? Can I fix? I don't want to buy a new one yet. Wanna fix it first.

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

It could be several things, but the first thing I would do is go buy a can of air and blow the dust out of that thing. You would be shocked how much dust they accumulate and they can get noisy and hot when that happens. Give that a try and see if that helps.

3. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

You're certain it's the power supply fan?

If an excessive amount of noise is coming from the fan, it is likely that the power supply fan is failing or bad. You should first attempt to clean the fan by using compressed air to blow out any dust, dirt, or hair.

If this does not resolve your issue you may need to have the power supply replaced.

4. Corvette

Corvette Thread Starter

yeah just the fan? cuse the rest of the PC is a ok w/ n o dust

5. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Take a shot at the air....fans collect dust very badly, but computers don't really collect that much visible dust (although they do collect dust).

6. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Dust can collect anywhere in there. But when it gets into fans, then it definitely needs a good cleaning. :)

7. Corvette

Corvette Thread Starter

Can I use a air compressor?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, I do it all the time. Make SURE you either limit the pressure to <20 psi or use a blow gun with a very small opening. High pressure air can damage parts.

You can replace just the fan in a ps. It is most often a standard 80mm fan. Pull the power cord and then hit the start button a few times to discharge the capacitors in the ps. Now you can safely open it and swap fans.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice