1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power supply going out and Disk Drive Error.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eodez, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eodez

Eodez Thread Starter

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5080
    Power Supply: Fatality Champ1on Series, 700W (connected to a power strip)

Hello, I've run across a problem yesterday while cleaning my computer that I've never encountered and all my attempts to even figure out exactly whats wrong have failed.

I took out my video card yesterday in order to clean the fan, afterwards I put it back in and powered up my computer. I was unable to login to Windows because the power supply suddenly cut out mid-boot-up, I tried powering it up again with the same result with increasing frequency, sometimes even being unable to power-up. I tried booting the computer up again today and during the boot-up process it said that the Disk Drive was damaged/corrupted and needed to be repaired, unfortunately the power supply cut out again when Windows was repairing the drive.

I've checked all the cables and wiring and everything it plugged in where it needs to go, I also tried booting up the computer without the video with the same result as above. The power strip seems fine with everything else thats plugged in working normally.

So to sum up-
    -Power Supply keeps going out after 1-2 minutes
    -Potentially a corrupted/damaged Disk Drive

I don't know if the 3 things I mentioned (taking out and putting the video card back in after cleaning, the power supply going out, and a damaged/corrupted disk drive) are related in any way and for the life of me I cannot determine whats wrong. Is it possible that there was a power surge? Thank you.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like overheating, have you verified that the CPU's heatsink did not come loose? Check the temps in the BIOS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice