1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply has burning smell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mfrns123, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mfrns123

mfrns123 Thread Starter

I just installed a new Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-450 ATX12V 450W Power Supply in my computer 2 days ago. Now I am noticing a faint burning smell. I opened up the case while it is running and see no problem with the wires or connections. The smell specifically comes from the power supply fan on the back of the case. Is this normal or is the power supply faulty? I'm hoping its just some residue burning off and it will go away, don't really feel like replacing it again.....Anyone have any ideas?

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

If it is a burning smell I would replace it.
    Some PSUs just have a New Hardware smell, thats OK, but burning smell isn't worth the risk.

3. mfrns123

mfrns123 Thread Starter

I was hoping it was a new hardware smell, but I think your right and better replace it. :(

4. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

sometimes that "new hardware smell" is mistaken for a burning odor. Wait a day or two and see if it fades.

5. mfrns123

mfrns123 Thread Starter

Smell seems to be getting less and less. I hope waiting solves the problem. But how will I know if the supply is ok? Are there any utilities out on there that monitor and diagnose power supply problems?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The best "utility" to monitor P/S performance is your comptuer. If it works normally, and all the MB monitor voltages appear to be normal, it's probably working fine.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice