1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply Help For New build!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobcoolos, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobcoolos

bobcoolos Thread Starter

The specs will be................

ASUS A8N SLI or ABIT A8N SLI (abit if the board ever comes out)
    AMD 64 3500+ 939pin
    2x 6800 Ultras (512 vid mem in sli mode)
    2x 512mb (1gb) Corsair XMS DDR400/Pc3200 (DDR550/Pc4400 if compatable with Abit Mother Board)
    2x 80gb Western Digital HDDs (in Raid)
    1x LiteOn CDR/RW Combo DVD
    1x LiteOn CDR/RW DVDR/RW
    1x Floppy
    1x UV Tube
    6x LED Case Fans

I was thinking this 600w..................................
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1049958&CatId=1483

But i would like this one b/c of the X-Connect Feature with UV Cables look so nice................
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=874745&CatId=1079

My only concerne with the 500w it that i will not have enough power. And i dont know what the "Effencey" of the Ultra Power Supplys are? And i have seen on newegg.com that the "Effency" can be as low a 60%. So 40% of the power will be gone, meaning you dont rilly have 500w or 600w. :confused:

So if any one can help me with this, thanks in advance.

Thanks,
    ~Da Bob~

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If the power rating is the OUTPUT power, then the efficiency relates to the amount of power drawn from the mains to produce that power.

Hence 500w output is still 500w output.

Only if the power rating is the INPUT power do you have such a problem.

3. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

6 case fans? You plan on doing a little overclocking? Gid rid of 5 of those fans and you'll have another 15 watts of power...

4. bobcoolos

bobcoolos Thread Starter

Im not quite sure if i understand. Um, going to be pluging it into a regular wall outlet 120v and would like to use one of the power supplys above. So which of the 2 power supplys do you reccemend? Or do you reccemend somthing differnt. And i have heard alot of talk about "Rails" and proper voltage outputs. If you could explain that or just reccememend a good Power Supply for this build that would be nice.

Thanks,
    ~Da Bob~

5. bobcoolos

bobcoolos Thread Starter

Not rilly, tho i am interested in doing a lil tweaking. So Overclocking i may get into once i get my new system up and running.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

Efficiency = (power in - power out)/(power in). It's a measure of have how effectively your PSU converts power for use in the computer. A more efficient PSU means lower power bill and less heat (that excess energy goes into heat). If the PSU is rated at 500 watts, it should produce 500 watts.

I doubt you'd have problems with either choice. More watts does not mean more stability. It's basically an addition of the pwoer needs of all the computer's components, e.g., each HD takes about 15-20watts. Your neon fans take about 3 watts, etc. If you want to be methodical, you could look up the power needs of your components and add them all up. Your cpu and graphics cards are probably your biggest energy consumers. Unless you want to add anohter 4 drives or 200watts worth of lighting, the 500w supply is probably sufficient and you have to like the UV cables! :)

8. bobcoolos

bobcoolos Thread Starter

Im interested, but it dosent look very pretty and it didnt mention anything about "Voltage Protection." I have had a bad experence with powers surges or somthing like that. :(

So are the any other models you recemmend that are good?

9. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Antec is one of the best power supplier manufacturers. The quality of the power supply is much important the gimics with fancy lights. Ultra's P/S are pretty good too and are definitetly 'pretier' then the much plainer Antec's.

Specs: http://www.antec.com/specs/true550_spe.html

11. bobcoolos

bobcoolos Thread Starter

That one dosent look too bad (aperance i mean) and it has the 20-24pin power connecter i need for the mother board along with voltage protection. I may get that one.

I was looking to pay around a $100 but $150 it deffently the limit. And now that i know what effency is i dont care how much the electric bill is or how much energy it uses. (i know that sounds bad, lol) I just want a good power supply that gives my new pc enough good acrate voltage.

I have about a month to think about it b/c i will be using my tax return to pay for most of this build. And right now i am just doing all my research so im ready and i get all the right stuff.

So if any1 else has any ideas for a Good Power Supply please post.

Thanks,
    ~Da Bob~

12. bobcoolos

bobcoolos Thread Starter

I agree, ill have to think it over. What do you think about the ThearmalTake one posted. And dose Antec have any Volatage Protection?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Voltage Protection is listed in the specs. Pretty much all power supplies have...just doesn't work always work that well.

You're better off with any of the other three power supplies over the Thermaltake. Check out the current ratings on the +3.3, +5, and +12 volt rails.

14. bobcoolos

bobcoolos Thread Starter

Sry, im not sure what those mean. All i know is that i have read alot about people complaining about "Rails" and them being off. So i dont know how to judge what a good "Rail" is or what other voltags are good?

And i guess i can just make sure i have every item conected pluged into a Surge Protecter strip.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/337714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice