1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply Inssuficient?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FAK3R, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FAK3R

FAK3R Thread Starter

Well, It might not be that simple..
    Let me explain my problem..
    I purchased an ASUS A7V8X-X and an AMD AthlonXP 2200+(1.8ghz) I upgreded to this on my old box.. That has a 200W power supply.
    The A7V8X-X has a feature in the BIOS that allows you to set the processor frequency. The default is 1800, which it auto sets presumably because the CPU is 1.8ghz. But this causes problems. WindowsXP reboots with BugCheck errors, whenever I play a game, or do something as simple as browse the web.
    But if I go into the BIOS and adjust the frequency to 1350.
    It no longer crashes or gives me any trouble whatsoever.
    I'm curious to know if the cause of this is; that I should purchase a better power supply, say a 400W.
    Or is the CPU just defective and I should get an RMA?

Thank you for reading my post. Helpful suggestions Appreciated

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well a 200Watt is too low, plus its old and could be a cheap brand. A 350/400watt powersupply would be a very good investment.

Other causes could be overheating (CPU runs hotter at faster speeds) - check the temp with the ASUS Probe thats on the motherboard CD. It could also be RAM - what speed is the RAM? Do you have more then one stick?

You should first upgrade the powersupply, and maybe even the case - some older cases are not designed for holding todays hardware - ie too small, not enough ventilation.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

While the problem may not be the P/S, 200 watt is very marginal and will probably end up causing issues anyway. I'd invest in a quality P/S and see where that takes you, since you need it anyway.

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

Did you also upgrade your memory too?

AMD XP2200 is a 133mhz FSB CPU, so your RAM needs to be at least 266Mhz or faster rated. Also, there maybe a jumper on the board for 100/133~200Mhz CPU - make sure its set to 133~200 (which is usually default)

200watt PSU is kinda of small for such a setup. You should plan on getting a 350~400watt PSU, pay at least $35 for a quality unit such as Antec / Fortron / Enermax. Also make sure your case also has good air flow as todays CPUs generate a lot of heat.

5. FAK3R

FAK3R Thread Starter

Yes, I bought a Kingston 512 PC2100, sufficient for the mobo. about the temp, it runs at 50C-54C at times of highload. I have 4 case fans to ensure no overheating. and a good heatsink.
    sorry if i was vague on the "Old case" and rest of my setup, it is all fine. except for this problem. Hopefully buying a new power supply will fix this.. Think a 350Watt is good enough?

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

Pay at least $35 for a quality unit such as Antec / Fortron / Enermax 350~400watt PSUs.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice