1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

power supply keeps breaking for unknown reasons

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Powersupplyguy, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Powersupplyguy

Powersupplyguy Thread Starter

system:

Intel quad core 2.8 GHz processor
    Asus P5KPL-AM SE motherboard
    2GB ram
    zotac 550gtx ti amp! edition
    windows 7 ultimate

hi,

the problems started last week when i installed my new graphcis card (stated above) i played crysis 2 for about 30 mins and my pc completely shutdown and i couldn't turn it back on.

I opened it up and saw that the motherboard light was still on, i sent it into a professional who confirmed my theory of it being a power issue and he changed the power supply.

The same thing happened the day my pc was returned so I sent it back, he thinks we should up the power to a 850 w supply

the thing that gets me is that my graphics card recommends 400w or greater, but my original supply was 650w, and the one he replaced was 500w please suggest anything as i am worried the same will happen with this 850w supply

Thanks in advance :)

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

What brand of power supply were you using?

Not all power supplies are the same and wattage isn't an indicator of quality.

3. Powersupplyguy

Not too sure about the first one, but the second one he installed was winpower.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Winpower is a midline power supply, not the best and not the worse. I believe that 500W is too "light" for your application with a quad core Intel processor and a 550 GTX graphics card

My guess is the current power supply is becoming stressed and one of the rails is "dropping out" when the power supply heats up.

This power supply should be adequate for the quad core processor and 550 GTX card..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

If you want to go to a 850W unit to have more reserve power then I would recommend this model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139022

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Not to get off the subject here.

The Asus P5KPL-AM SE motherboard supports up to 4 GB of DDR2 PC2-6400(DDR2-800) RAM.

Why are you hobbling your computer's performance for gaming by using only 2 GB?

-------------------------------------------------------

6. Powersupplyguy

thanks for the quick replies and help guys,

i'm hoping the 850w one the guy is fitting tomorrow is going to be enough if not i'll probably end up going for your suggestion win2kpro.

also i've already ordered 4 gb of ram, should be coming tomorrow.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

Post the make and model of the power supply that get's installed. There is a tremendous amount of differences in power supply's rated at the same wattage.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice