1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply making buzzing sound sometimes?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Newuser12345215, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newuser12345215

Newuser12345215 Thread Starter

Just 3-4 days ago, my computer has now been occasionally making sort of a buzzing sound. The sound is made like around once every hour or two (so I haven't been able to check exactly where the sound is coming from).

The sound is made even if my computer is idle and I'm not doing anything (though I do notice that after I turn on my computer, that sound isn't made until about an hour or so in after using my computer).

The sound isn't always exactly the same actually. Sometimes it sounds kind of like a scratching sound and sometimes a buzzing sound (sometimes in between). The buzzing sound lasts 0.5-1 seconds at a time, and sometimes sound sharp and the sound is very noticeable when it's made (not too loud but it is loud enough to be really noticeably when it happens).

The reason why I think it's the power supply is because I hear it coming from the bottom/back of my PC, where the PSU (and just above that, the video card) is located (the HDD is in front).

I tried checking HDD status using speedfan and it seems everything is okay regarding my HDD (so don't think it's my HDD but I'll try checking it again soon by placing my computer in a spot where I can more easily pinpoint the location of the sound).

Now, the question is what is the worse case scenario for what may be causing the buzzing sound? Like does it mean the PSU is going to die soon (if it's the PSU that is making the sound) or something else? Besides the sound, nothing seems to be wrong with my computer (it's working fine, there aren't any crashes or anything so far).

Also, what else besides the PSU (if it's not the PSU) could make a sharp buzzing/scratching sound that lasts 0.5-1 second? I know the HDD can make that sound sometimes, but is there any other computer part (video card, motherboard, etc?)? Again, I'll try to pinpoint where the sound is coming from soon to see whether it's the HDD or the PSU.

Also here is the power supply (CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W) and my HDD (Seagate SV35 Series ST1000VX000 1TB 7200 RPM ) I have if it helps. My computer is just under a year old and the buzzing sound only just happened recently (3-4 days ago). Any help will be appreciated :).

Edit - Actually as of writing this, my computer hasn't made the sound yet (yesterday it made the sound after just an hour into my computer being turned on, even if I didn't have anything else open besides my browser). I'll see if playing games or doing something more resource intensive causes the sound to be made.

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    When is the last time you cleaned out the dust in your computer? A build up of dust on the fan's can cause premature wearing of the bearings and thus noise starts to present itself. Get yourself a can of compressed air and give it a good cleaning.

3. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    You never answered my ?. Also, instead of editing your post, submit a new post which will then put you at top of page again and more importantly, will email all who have posted in here.

To help us help you,please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread. You can use the TSG Info to fill in your computer information in your user profile as well.

Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1097550

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice