Power supply MB pin 20 or 24 pin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jayohallen

Hi
I am building my first PC. I have a question about power supplies. My mother board has a 24 pin power plug. Is there an advantage to using a power supply that has a 24 pin MB plug on it. I understand that you can use a PS 20 pin ona MB 24 pin by inserting in the first 20 pins. If any more infor is required for an answer let me know and I will post it.

Thanks

Jim Allen

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
They put 24 pins on the board for a reason - they are needed.

You can use a 24pin powersupply with a 20pin motherboard, but you shouldn't use a 20pin powersupply with a 24pin motherboard.

crjdriver

The 24 pin power supplies have two separate 12V rails. When you use an adapter to run a 24 pin board with a 20 pin ps, what happens is the single 12V rail on the 20 pin unit is split. This results in two 12V rails; however it does not supply enough amps.

In short the board mfg uses 24 pins for a reason; it needs the extra voltage. Using a 20 to 24 pin adapter is just asking for problems.

May I suggest that you read the mother board manual carefully.I know my manual says that I can use a 20(with the onboard graphics) pin power supply. But if I upgrade to the pci express video card I need the 24 pin for the extra power. :)I did not need an adapter,just plugged the 20pin connector into the 24 pin socket on the mother board

Since they're building a new PC, I think they would save themselves a lot of trouble in the long run by just buying a 24pin PSU to begin with :)

crjdriver

accat13 said:
May I suggest that you read the mother board manual carefully.I know my manual says that I can use a 20(with the onboard graphics) pin power supply. But if I upgrade to the pci express video card I need the 24 pin for the extra power. :)I did not need an adapter,just plugged the 20pin connector into the 24 pin socket on the mother board
Just because there is an adapter, does not mean it is a good idea to use one. You can buy reclaimed oil for your car; does that mean it is a good idea?

Again using a 20-24 pin adapter is asking for problems. If it works for you fine. It is still not a good idea.

Worst case, you can usually get adapters, or the power supply comes with an adapter to go from 24 to 20 or 20 to 24... so don't worry about it... so long as you fill all the pin holes ... and choose a good quality power supply

Jeffyboy said:
Worst case, you can usually get adapters, or the power supply comes with an adapter to go from 24 to 20 or 20 to 24... so don't worry about it... so long as you fill all the pin holes ... and choose a good quality power supply
That's not true at all, what crjdriver said is entirely correct.

jayohallen

Hi Everyone
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to look for a PS with a 24 pin connector.

Thanks Again

JIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by accat13
May I suggest that you read the mother board manual carefully.I know my manual says that I can use a 20(with the onboard graphics) pin power supply. But if I upgrade to the pci express video card I need the 24 pin for the extra power. I did not need an adapter,just plugged the 20pin connector into the 24 pin socket on the mother board
crjdriver said:
Just because there is an adapter, does not mean it is a good idea to use one. You can buy reclaimed oil for your car; does that mean it is a good idea?

Again using a 20-24 pin adapter is asking for problems. If it works for you fine. It is still not a good idea.
Sorry for the late response but I agree crjdriver an adapter is a bad idea.All I was saying was that if your manual says you may use a 20 pin then you can. NO adapter required.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online