1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power supply? Motherboard? OS? .... or what?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cuttlefish, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    OK, I'll try to get it right.......

I have an Intel 2.6 Ghz Duo Core on an ASUS Motherboard, 2 Gig RAM and all about six years old running Windows 7 Pro.

When I do a cold bootup from the power OFF condition, the PC freezes at the BIOS message and will sit there forever .....................

If instead I press DELETE on bootup, it will boot right through to the BIOS settings page (blue/white screen) whereupon, I do the ESC and EXIT bit, get presented with "Start Windows Normally" and all is then OK.

If I do a reboot using the reset push button, it will only proceed to the BIOS part where the HARD DISC is checked and again will sit there for ever...........................

Now, to confuse it further, if I turn the PC OFF and ON using the front deck push button, it will do a normal reboot right through to starting Windows correctly.

Whilst the PC runs reasonably well thereafter, it is quite common for it to do a complete and total shutdown for no reason whatsoever or the keyboard or mouse to suddenly stop working.

On the back of the deck is yet another ON/OFF switch and using this to reboot the PC results in a normal bootup.

So something stinks using the RESET Pb on the front of the deck or a normal cold bootup.

I replaced the Motherboard battery, pushed and pulled all the wires - as you do - all to no avail.

It is far from a happy PC and I suspect either the power pack is playing up or the Motherboard is on the way out.

It is quite common to be tapping away quite happily when BANG, the whole thing does a complete shutdown following a keystroke or adding a USB device such as a camera or such.

For no apparent reason on a bootup, it will decide to reinstall a whole stack of drivers that have been working satisfactorily to date.

It may be the Windows software as after I took it to the local repair shop (now defunct), I keep getting messages that Windows is not the genuine version. When I asked the Techie on this one, he said thay had used one of "their Windows 7 discs" to effect some repairs - yeh????????????

I have everything backed up so am very gtempted to format the whole wretched thing and try again. I know the above explanation is a but hard to follow but hoping someone can see a glaring problem ....................................... :eek:

Is there any disgnostic software I can download to do a check on the hardware or is this a waste of time?

Thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sure. Start by going into the bios and checking your temps and voltages; specifically the cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Post those here.

Next download and run memtest This runs from bootable media ie CD, floppy, etc. You need to make the bootable disk and restart with the disk in the drive [CD set as first boot device in the bios]

Test the hard drive with the drive maker's diagnostic. You download this from whomever made the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc. Most of the time you have a choice between a windows version and a dos or boot version; get the boot version. Again it runs from bootable media.

One other thought; have you cleaned the system at all? If not, open the case and give it a good cleaning with a can of air [available at any office store, computer store, even walmart]

3. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    Thanks for reply,
    Did all the checks and nothing nothing obvious showed up. The memory diagnostics initially said it could either recognize nor test the RAM but after a couple of reboots it finally ran the checks and advised all OK.
    I gave up and took it to a more reputable dealer this morning so either they will find it or refurbish the guts for $270.
    Cheers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1018081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice