1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply, No Boot Up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zaarenoc, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaarenoc

zaarenoc Thread Starter

I'm working on a computer that won't boot up. I replaced the power supply about 6 months ago. This time the tester says the power supply is good. It's a Pentium 4 machine with the 4-pin Molex plug to the motherboard.
    The only exception is the +3.3v indicator will not light up unless the SATA plug is also plugged into the tester. Could it be
    that the 4-pin Molex is not needed except when a SATA drive is installed.
    This is the one that has to receive a feedbacck signal to turn the power supply on. I'm thinking the 12v CPU fan may be the culprit.
    When I connect the fan to a 12-volt supply it works fine. When I start the computer with the off/on switch, you can hear the hard drive winding up, but I have to give the cpu fan a flick to start it turning. Still no video though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice