1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power supply on the way out?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sup2a, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sup2a

sup2a Thread Starter

I recently have been alerted to noises in my computer (no1 on the list) at first the noises the HD were making had me a little worried, a slight whirring whenever i say view photos or scroll, so i believe thats on the way out, no big deal really, but more recently i booted up the computer and something is making a terrible noise, rattling sort of.... Hard to explain, all i know is its not good, i have the side off my case so noises are louder than most computers but this has never happened before only today's boot and the day before, the sound seems to subside after a few minutes to a light sound but not the norm.

Im not 100% sure its the Power supply but nothing else would make that noise would it? the CPU fan seems fine and everything is well (besides the HD) I just need to know if it is the PSU cause' i don't want things going "boom" Im on a VERY tight budget and only want to buy a PSU if it is for sure. Nothing else seems to be wrong with the computer, it runs fine there are no power cut outs just a very loud start up

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Use something like a straw, coffee stirrer, etc to hold the fan stopped and pw ON. See which one is making the noise.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice