1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power supply or graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brightmal, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brightmal

brightmal Thread Starter

A few days ago my PC shut-down, as did one of the fuses for the house. This was accompanied by a nasty burning, ozone smell. I reset the fuse, plugged in the pc, and the tower wouldn't light up. The monitor and speakers, on the same cord board, powered up, but not the tower.
    I cleaned out all the dust I could find, and tried again, but no luck. I couldn't find any burn marks, but I figured it must be the PSU. So I ordered a Sonata 3 complete with an earthpower 500 watt PSU.
    My new stuff arrived today, and I began pulling out my mobo to put it into the new tower, when I found a loose component rolling around in the old tower. To my ignorant eyes it looks like a tiny capacitor and it has written on the top:
    6P
    EZA
    There are three more of these on my Asus 7900GT, so I figure that must be where it came from, but this leaves me with two questions.
    1/ Would this missing component cause the whole PC to not start up? Have I found the cause of the problem and can I assume the old PSU is still ?
    2/ Can this component be soldered back on, or I do I need a new graphics card?

2. BG-0

BG-0

You have nothing to lose trying to solder the capacitor back, if you can find the spot it was in previously, do you? I would assume the fix is not going to work, but it's worth a shot, I would try doing it.
    The old PSU is most probably a goner. The loose capacitor would cause no video output, but wouldn't prevent the system from booting.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/799327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice