power supply or not

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pantsdavies

hey fellas/fellaess's
Was hoping for some advice, my mate has a dell pentium 4 and is running with 128mb of Ram so I suggested he upgraded it

I offered to do it, so bought a 512mb from ebuyer, unplugged the power supply pressed the on/off button to discharge any electric still left and then removed the old ram and installed the new one, when I switched the computer back on there was nothing its dead as tank tops, does anybody know what has happened? wheather its the motherboard or the power supply?

A friend in work said if you short out the green and black cables on the 20 pin plug from the power suppy, it should start the power supply up, but it does not,ive checked the on/off button and it appears to be working?

anybody got a clue what may have happened
cheers
pants

I'd get the psu tested, just to clear up what is meant by dead, fan on psu does not spin and no other activity whats so ever right?

you can try pulling the cmos battery out for a minute or two to reset the bios but i'm still thinking psu right now.

pantsdavies

brite750 said:
I'd get the psu tested, just to clear up what is meant by dead, fan on psu does not spin and no other activity whats so ever right?
yes no fans spins, no lights, no nothing as if it aint even plugged in, there is a crackling sound when you plug the power in so something is drawing current!

pantsdavies

thanks ,I will try and borrow a psu from a friend to test,Im hoping I havnt killed the mobo:(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online