1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply or Power Strip?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Popit, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Popit

Popit Thread Starter

I have a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 computer.
    1.40GHz
    768MB Ram
    40GB HDD

Last week I installed SP2 on my computer because I had SP1 and decided to upgrade.

A couple days later when I click on "turn off" my computer restarts NOT shutdown... When I click on "stand by" The screen goes black, then I get a "blue screen" (Like in Windows 98) But it's dark blue and stays up for only a second. Then the computer resets.... The next day my computer stopped that but then As soon as I press the power button the TV in the living room goes all fuzzy.. I turn it off. I remove the power strip thinking that it went bad... I do use every plug, but other power strips in the house are full too....I plug it directly into the wall. The restart stops, still fuzzy. I unplug ALL the connections in the back of my PC except the Power and monitor...... It stops.. Plug it all back in. Put it in another outlet in my room. Does it again.... Change HDD power cable.. (motor could be causing this?) I finally realize that it's the TV tuner card. The cable connection is already being split into 1/7ths! I had a bad plug on the TV splitter so the fuzziness got fixed.. I put the power strip back on and the restart is going on again... I tried on a outlet too....

Why is my computer restarting when I click "Turn Off"? Is the "shutdown.exe" corrupted?

2. gurutech

gurutech

Check your power management settings (and reinstall software if needed, from the manufacturer website). I've run across many problems with SP2 messing with power management settings...

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Since you have a TV Tuner card I would suggest physically remove the card from the computer and see if the problems persist.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/662593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice