1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply or ????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by socabch, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. socabch

socabch Thread Starter

Have a machine that the power supply died on. So I took an old small watt PSU from an 8 yr old machine and put it in. It died right away. Is there anything in the machine that can cause the PSU to burn out? I don't want to spend money on a brand new 500 watt only to have it fry when I hook it up. My other option is to use the older P3 machine and set up my hard drive on that one as a slave so I can get to my data.

2. nmkyourface

nmkyourface

has the machine been woking properly.

if not the motherboard is bad it can fry a power supply. if you have a video card that uses a large amount of power it will burn up a power supply. if the device is 8 yrs. old it will probally burn up.

however if you are not having any other difficulties with the pc then you should be fine with a 500w

3. socabch

socabch Thread Starter

Machine was running fine. If the CPU is bad will that cause a power supply to fry? The video card isn't anything special.

4. nmkyourface

nmkyourface

if your motherboard is bad it could but it shouldn't.
    buy from newegg or someone that provides a warranty

5. socabch

socabch Thread Starter

Okay I put the new power supply in and now another issue. Maybe video card or monitor gone bad. The machine starts up fine but the monitor light is yellow and nothing is on the screen. Opinion needed on if I should replace video card or monitor.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You *think* the PC starts up, but just because the fans run and the lights are on does not always imply that.

If the PC does not actually boot then there will be no display.

A simple test - when you think its booted, every press of the Caps Lock key should toggle the Caps Lock light on the keyboard On or Off. If that does not happen, the PC has not even tried to boot.

7. nmkyourface

nmkyourface

if that doesn't work and the system will not boot then you need a new motherboard

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Bear in mind that a PSU failing can take other downstream components with it, particularly when cheap PSU's go bad.

9. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

yeh if the psu was fused and then turned on ther would be nothing to stop the AC current frying slots on the motherboard and even other componants...never worth gettin a cheap PSU

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice