1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power supply problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by driedwater, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driedwater

driedwater Thread Starter

I am working on a PC with windows 98 that had all sorts of problems, error messages, freeze up and frequent shutdowns. I took the PC back to my place to work on it since I have high speed to download updates etc. I scanned the computer for viruses and ad ware and after i got all the junk off, it appeared to be working ok. So I took the PC back only for it to not work again. So i brought it back home and it worked just fine, so i actually went and picked up their printer and monitor because i thought maybe that was the cause of the problem. Nope.. everything works just fine with all the hook ups at my house but at their house it freezes up.. which is leading me to think it may be an electrical problem. They do have a very old house with rather old wiring. They have had this computer for years, so what would suddenly cause this to go down? My question is this: how do i test the power supply? What are the tools I need? I have pretty good experience with software and hardware but when it comes to testing hardware for electric surge damage, I haven't have a clue. Do I need a multi meter, a voltage tester?? Thanks for your time!!!

Mark

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

If this machine and its peripherals are working fine at your shop, the chances are they have low input voltage at their residence. Take a charged up UPS with you next time and see if that makes any difference. Checking the machine PS etc probably won't yield any answers since it is working fine at your location.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice