Power supply problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kevindv10

A user went to power on her machine and gave it a shock from the static in the building. Since then, the machine will start up for a couple seconds and then just power down again. I've switched power supplies and had the same result. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Cheers.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You probably zapped something on the MB, though it's difficult to say without seeing the machine and tinkering with it.

Kevindv10

So what would I look for? What kind of tests can I do? Obviously I donj't want to write the machine off unless I've exhausted all the possibilities.

Thanks for your response.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, the next test involves removing everything but the video board, and trying to see if you can get the system to at least get to the POST in the BIOS. If that fails, I'd replace the video card and try it again. Finally, if that fails, it would appear that the MB is the only component not replaced, so it's probably time for a new one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online