1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xstr8n8x, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xstr8n8x

xstr8n8x Thread Starter

A friend of mine built a computer for me, and it was working fine until I tried to turn it on one day and it started to turn on, the lights and fans came on, but then it just shut off. When I tried to turn it on agian, it would do the same thing, the lights and fans would come on for about a second, then it would shut off.

So I got a new power supply, a 500w just in case the 400w was too low. It worked fine for about two days until all of the sudden the screen goes dead. So in the midst of trying to figure out why I'm not getting any picture (trying different monitors and so forth), I try to turn the computer on and it does the same thing it did with the last power supply.

In case it matters the first power supply was a PowerMax 400w.
    The second was a Power Magic 500w.
    The video card is a Gforce ti 4200
    512 ram
    1.6 ghz.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

2. xstr8n8x

xstr8n8x Thread Starter

Ok I just tried turning it on again, and it actually stayed on, so now I'm really confused. But i still have no display. When i turn the monitor on its like it isnt even plugged into the computer, and i have tried multiple monitors.

So if anyone has any idea what the hell is wrong with my computer I'd appreciate it. Thanks again.

3. compilerxp

compilerxp

It could be a worm/virus...

Or, it could be replacing a very low-end PSU with another LOW end PSU. Most people do know know of the BRAND names in the computer field. Some companie make better Hard drives than others, some make better boards than othres... same goes with PSU (Power SUpply Unit).

When you pay $20~25 for a "500watt" generic PSU such as PowerMAX and Power Magic, you are getting a high risk PSU that can fail more, cause more system crashes and even DAMAGE your computer.

Go here, read up on PSUs...
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1841

Getting a $20 "400watt" psu usally means you're really getting a 200watt or less.

The 350~400 watt PSUs I use cost $50~100.

Take the "500watt" back to the store for a REFUND - go elsewhere to buy a new PSU... I wouldnt buy anything from a store that is willing to sell junk.

Pick up a Fortran, Enermax or Antec PSU... they are fairly common.

4. maher_molla

maher_molla

I think it is not a problem of power supply now, I think it is a VGA Card fault. Try another one and see

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

Faulty power supplies can damage computer hardware.

6. xstr8n8x

xstr8n8x Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the info on PSU's, thats really helpfull. For now my PSU seems to be working, but I'll be keeping that in mind in case I start having problems with it again.

I am still having problems with my video though. Is it Possible that the PSU wasnt giving out enough power and burned up my video card/motherboard/hard drive? And thats why I can't see anything when i try to boot up? Or would it have not worked in the first place if the PSU wasnt powerfull enough?

Thanks for the help.

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

if your video card worked before... but not now, than something could have been damaged. Its hard to say... for all you know, it could be your motherboard thats not working right. You need to use another video card (some old one laying around) or borrow one from a friend and see if it lives.

Why keep a PSU that might have already damaged your computer? Having random power downs like that is not good.

My $50 PSU blew itself up a few months ago, but its still well built and did NOT harm my system (but I was still very worried that it was damaged).

It is common to replace $20 PSUs... they have a high failure rate and tend to make system crashes higher as well.

You didn't know about QUALITY PSUs, and you counted on a store to sell you something good. Hey, even I learn things after I buy them... I bought a junky GF2 card and found out why it was garbage and bought another GF2 that was a lot better, for $15 more... we learn... sometimes before a purhcase, but usually after.

When I worked at a PC store and did computer flear markets, at one such flea market, a kid liked the look of my $35 Mini Towers... but he said "Well.. I like them, but some other guy has a case for $25" I warned him about quality of the CASE and the Power Supply. Well, a few hours later after we got back to our store - THERE was that kid with his "new" case and his computer inside...
    Power supply failure... and NO way to contact the other dealer.

I sold him a power supply for $25 or so... no labor charge for me to put it in for him. In the end he PAID more & still had a cheap case.

So, I try to help people learn about these things... it pays to do research when you can. I have no love for low-end cases... even today you can pay $25~30 for a case with a power supply... they look cheap, feel cheap and not made to last. Those who are hard core computer users spend $150~300 for their cases and power supplies... heheh I'm not that rich.

----

Pull your video card out... even if you dont have a spare.... your motherboard should BEEP you when there is no video card. It'll even beep you if you have no RAM sticks installed.

But, your systerm does SPIN up when you press power... so it means at least part of your mobo is alive.... but it SHOULD beep you... And if another video card doesn't give you video on your monitor, you can suspect your board and or CPU could be gone.

But you should have a better power supply available when you do this. You can't test for dead hardware with defective products.

8. Dyer

Dyer

Try to re-seat your video card, if no luck, then try a known good video card.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice