1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

power supply problems?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marias2, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marias2

Marias2 Thread Starter

I purchased a new mother board, processor, and case 2 days ago, and I'm having trouble with my computer now. I installed everything as usual, and it was in working order, but all of a sudden it just turned off. Now when I turn on the power supply(the on/off switch on it) it just makes a very faint, high pitched, beep and I can't turn it on at all. Anyone have any ideas of what happend or how I can fix it?

Motherboard-Iwill kk266plus
    Processor-800mhz Duron

2. brianF

brianF

Reseat all components, especially the processor and ram, along with addin cards and power supply connections.
    check the fan/heatsink to make sure it is installed properly and making good connection with the cpu core

Make sure your processor is setup correctly in bios or jumpers.

If that fails, remove everything except processor, memory, vid card, and floppy. try to boot off a startup disk

3. Marias2

Marias2 Thread Starter

Forgot to mention the main problem whoops -.-'
    The computer won't turn on at all. I've taken everything out and put it back in again, but it wont turn on at all. Thats why I thought it might be a prob with the power supply.
    -EDIT-
    I just swapped out the power supply and nothing's changed so I'm guessing that its not the problem. A bit frustrating, cause everything's new.

4. brianF

brianF

Make sure the jumpers are set correctly for your cpu, multiplier and front side bus freq

Also make sure nothing in the case is shorting out to the motherboard. Occasionally one of the screws that hold the motherboard in will do this.

5. Rockn

Rockn

If it was working earlier I would suspect the CPU if you get absolutely no response now. Did you put the heat sink on correctlywith the thermal grease that should have been supplied? AMD CPU's are notorious for having their core crack if the heat sink is installed improperly.

6. Marias2

Marias2 Thread Starter

I bought it combo'ed because I've heard stories about that. If thats the case, who ever put this thing together is going to get quite an earful...

7. Rockn

Rockn

I would take everything out but the video card, CPU and memory and see if it will boot. If not I would send it back to them for a refund and shop elsewhere.

8. Marias2

Marias2 Thread Starter

*sigh* Guess its time to make some angry phone calls. Thanks for the help.

9. Rockn

Rockn

Did you try my suggestion above??

10. Marias2

Marias2 Thread Starter

Yep, I have no idea what could be wrong. The thing isnt even turning on, just a faint beep that seems to be coming from the power supply itself.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice