Power supply question... how many watts do you need?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

htiarw

Hi,

I'm currently looking at purchasing another computer, and was wondering how much importance there is in power supply for a case. Here are the current hardware items that will go into the case:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800 Dual Core
Motherboard: Asus A8N SLI Deluxe AMD64 MB
RAM: 2048Mb DDR2 533
HDD: 300Gb Seagate 7200RPM SATA
GPU: Leadtek Geforce 6800GS 256Mb
Sound: Creative SB Live!
Pioneer DVR A10 XL DVD Writer & 3.5" Flopppy Drive

I don't know if this is also worth mentioning, but this computer will also be running new, graphic-intensive games, as well as 2D and 3D graphics software.

Would 360W be enough to power all of this, or should I source a case with more? This is one I'm currently looking at:

TA-250

Thanks for your help!

MysticEyes

Banned
Seems like you might need more. But keep in mind that many times a brand name, high quality PS will out perform a no-name generic with a higher watt rating.

As a side note, forget the Creative SBLive, it's junk and not up to today's games.

Frankly, for that system and what you want to do with it, I would consider a 450w to 500w just to be on the safe side...350w may be middle ground or on the weak side and could give you headaches. Get quality; the best you can afford....Antec, Enermax or a Thermaltake.
Good rule of thumb: Go for at least 100w to 150w more power than you anticipate to "future-proof" the system.

Ditto MysticEyes on that sound card. Consider a SoundBlaster Audigy ZS. I would just get the card, not the "gamer" version...same card, but just with a game bundle. Save the bucks. You might want to consider getting the Platinum version though with the front panel interface (or external interface).

thats a lot of stuff, the Asus site stinks, cant see how many fans, what size, etc. case looks too small, power supply too small probably not the right type either you need 450 to 500watt 24pin dual rail, SLI ready just in case, Look at Antec, Thermaltake to name a few

ya i agree get a bigger one but a name brand one performs alot better then a cheap one i got a enernmax whisperquiet 480w and i had 8 hds 2 cdroms 6 fans with 4 pci cards and it ran stable not to mention i overclock the hell outa my system.

Enermax are very good power supplies, try to find a good case without psu and get an Enermax power supply would also work.

Tha Asus case uses a 350watt 20pin atx psu so its NOT gonna work well for your 24pin mobo, also cant find out what brand of psu is in this thing, not a whloe lot of info on it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online