1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

power supply question/suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rosh325, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Hey all,
    Well I successfully built the system that you guys helped me with:

Asus A7N8X-X
    1 gig corsair ram
    Amd athlon xp3200+
    Raidon 128mb 9600 video card

anyway, the case I bought came with a ps (it was the x-dreamer case) and yet I dont think its very good. According to the asus probe, my +12 and +5 are fluxuating alot. Is this bad? Should I replce the PS? How hard is this to do and what do you recommend as a good/powerful/quiet/not too expensive power supply? Thanks all

2. brite750

brite750

psuz are real easy to replace, 4 screws and a bunch of plugs. I would go with Antec, Enlight , Coolmax, 400watt. don't know about the voltages, it might be normal, wait for someone else to answer that one. what kind of psu comes with the Xdreamer?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Asus probe has never been very reliable. Go into your bios and check your voltage there. In addition you might want to install speedfan It is an app I include on all of my builds / installs.

As to ps, good brands are Antec, Enlight, Enermax, Coolmax, Sparkle. The best "bang for the buck" will be an Enlight ps. Stay away from foxxcon, deer, allied, powmax ps. Generally one of the better indicators for a ps is weight. Go down to your local compusa and see what an Antec 400W ps weighs. Now see what the one you select weighs. If it is quite a bit lighter, then pass on it.

4. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Thanks crj, I'll go into bios and post what i see. What is speedfan?

5. brite750

brite750

Got to watch that "choosing psu by weight" thing, next thing you know, the cheapy brands will be putting lead in their psuz.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Speedfan is a utility that monitors temps, voltages, and fan rpm. It can run all the time in your tray or you can just check it once in a while. I set it to give a constant readout of cpu temp.

7. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Hey all,
    Well im still confused. Will 400 watts be enough? This case has a front LCD panel, and 6 lcds in the front..not to mention two very loud fans etc. The thing tends to drain power. I need a quiet/powerful/reliable power supply. If anyone can suggest a specific item from newegg.com that would be amazing. Thanks all
    Also, do i need to remove the motherboard when changing p/s or take any kind of precautions to prevent power supply from discharging while removing it?

8. brite750

brite750

No you don't have to remove mobo to change psu. what brand of psu do you have?

9. brite750

brite750

10. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Hey and thanks for the reply. I have whatever POS power supply came with my x-dreamer 2 case. Is there a difference between the 3? I saw one is 450, and one had two fans, what differences do these make? Also, the case came with two 80mm blue fans which look amazing, but are really really loud, any advice?

11. brite750

brite750

your case fans are probably really high rpm, hence the noise, you can get speed controls for them so you can turn them down to quieter levels, if they are screwed into place you can pick up some rubber washers from the hardware store to put between the fan and case, if they are snap in then i'm not sure what else you can do. the psuz are all good wasn't sure how much you wanted to spend, i'm partail to Antec, but the Coolmax are good bang/buck. if you get a new psu make sure you save the old one for trouble shooting, it's good to have a spare. the 2 fans on the psu i've been told are nice because 1 fan faces down towards your cpu and helps pull the hot air away and out the back of psu (extra exhaust fan)

12. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

thanks brite. Anyone have an opinion/experience with those mentioned above?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice