Power Supply Question

LauraMJ

Administrator
My sister's computer (HP Pavilion All in One running Windows 8) stopped working after a storm knocked their electric out recently. It will not boot to the desktop. I did a hard reset by unplugging it and holding down the power button for 15 seconds, and that did allow it to work enough that I was able to get into the diagnostics and run some tests. The memory, hard drive, and processor all passed their tests. But when I try to boot to safe mode, it will go blank and shut off. If I try to boot to the desktop, the hp logo comes up, the circle spins, then it just goes blank. It doesn't shut off, but it won't do anything. I did notice when I ran the components diagnostics that in the list of components, according the what is shown on the internet for the HP Pavilion 21 All in One, there should be a "Power" component to test, but this computer does not show a "power" option in the list at all.

Does anyone know anything about the power supply in these things? I cant find any info about it at all. The only thing a search gives me is a power supply for a tower or the power cord for the All in Ones. Is a power supply replaceable on it? Any other suggestions of things to check?

Hello LauraMJ,

But when I try to boot to safe mode, it will go blank and shut off. If I try to boot to the desktop, the hp logo comes up, the circle spins, then it just goes blank. It doesn't shut off,
There is a chance that it is Windows that has the problem so would suggest a couple of things to check that possibility first;

See if you are able to force the computer to start in the Windows Recovery Environment (RE) by starting up and shutting down the computer two or three times using the case power button, please note that you need to shut down the computer after the HP logo and just before Windows would normally attempt to load, if successful you should then continue to the Troubleshooting options and then hopefully be able to use a system restore point or Safe Mode etc.

If the above does not help, try booting from Linux on a USB thumbdrive or disk, see info here

Regarding the power supply, they are basically that which is used with notebook type computers and easily replaced, for testing the present adaptor, did see some info that says that if testing the power supply is not available in the stock HP diagnostics an upgrade may be required, you will find the info for that here along with an alternative option to download a HP PC hardware diagnostics 4-IN-1 USB key.

LauraMJ

Administrator
continue to the Troubleshooting options
I can actually get into the EUFI and the troubleshooting options by tapping the esc button after pushing the power button. While it will let me browse through the menu options, it won't let me actually choose one. If I chose the recovery option, it just goes to a black screen or shuts off. If I chose the repair startup option, it keeps asking for a password to continue. We never entered a password on this computer. Even so, we tried her Microsoft Account password, which we know is correct because we logged into her account from her laptop, but it would not accept it. In that account, only the laptop was registered, so obviously we never used a Microsoft account on that particular computer....it's 5 or 6 years old, and I think I set it up as a local account at the time. So I have no idea what the stupid thing wants there. 🙄. At any rate, I suspect it may act the same as when I try to run the recovery option. As a matter of fact, if I just let it sit at that options menus too long, or shuts off or goes to a black screen.

crjdriver

Laura boot the system with a linux live usb. If the system runs under linux, then the hardware is OK [only thing not really tested would be the hard drive]
If it works ok under linux for a while, clean install windows using a boot usb.

In addition to the above, if able to boot into Linux ok you will hopefully be able to back up any important data before clean installing Windows and the HP system drivers.

LauraMJ

Administrator
Okay, it may be a few days before I can get back to my sister's house; she lives about an hour and a half away from me.

LauraMJ

Administrator
So, she has just decided to get a new computer, since this one is about six years old. However, at this time, the only ones available in the stores around her in the type she wants has Solid State Drives, not traditional Hard Drives. I am a bit vague on how those work and what they entail. If I understand right, you can't really install programs directly to the computer or save a lot of pictures or whatever to the computer, correct? What about something like QuickBooks? Can that be installed or does something else have to be done?

So, she has just decided to get a new computer, since this one is about six years old. However, at this time, the only ones available in the stores around her in the type she wants has Solid State Drives, not traditional Hard Drives. I am a bit vague on how those work and what they entail. If I understand right, you can't really install programs directly to the computer or save a lot of pictures or whatever to the computer, correct? What about something like QuickBooks? Can that be installed or does something else have to be done?
Solid State Drives (SSD) can be used the same as a normal hard drive with the added benefit that they're much faster. Typically they're smaller in size but if your sisters laptop is quite old it probably won't be much different. I'd try to get something of a similar size of the hard drive in the older laptop if possible or better yet bigger if budget allows.

I use a 256gb drive which is big enough for me. I save my photos and have a handful of applications and the odd game. Everyone's needs are different though

LauraMJ

Administrator
She has thousands of pictures and many files and folders as well as QuickBooks because they have a business and this will be their business computer as well as a main "home" computer. The old one had a 1TB drive that was 75% full. She had some other business programs on the old one, too (she is going to take that old one to a local shop and see if they can get her personal and business stuff off of it).

crjdriver

When SSDs first came out, there were some reliability problems. That is all in the past. A modern ssd is more reliable, faster, quieter and less prone to shock damage [important in a laptop]
Just treat the ssd as a VERY fast mech hard drive.
I am surprised that you can still purchase a laptop with a spin or mech drive. My in-laws bought a budget ie cheap HP about 1yr ago and that still had a mech drive [the thing takes at least 2 full min to boot up]

LauraMJ

Administrator
So how would she get all her stuff on it? Will there be enough room? She had almost filled up a 1TB hard drive that was on her old one. Does the SSDs compact the data better? It doesn't seem like enough room, to me.

crjdriver

LauraMJ

Administrator
No, the drive works the same way as a mech drive. The only difference is a mech drive stores data on spinning platters; the ssd writes to non-volatile memory
Hmmmm, so, that would mean this would not be enough space. How do people get by with so little? I have a 1 TB currently and it is almost at 70%. 🤷
You should be able to copy data files from the drive. I use this adapter;
https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-rcuc-18001-usb-to-ide-sata/p/N82E16812119916?Item=N82E16812119916
Works great and you can connect IDE, SATA, and 2.5" laptop drives. Even works with an optical drive ie DVD.
You mean instead of her taking the old one to a shop to have files moved off of it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online