Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Power supply question

874 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  franco44 
#1 ·
i have a year old HP pc.Pent 4 with a 250watt ps. i would like to upgrade the ps to a 350watt. i saw a 350watt antec at best buy but i am not sure if it is compatible with my pc. the clerk at best buy said something about checking for a reverse ground which can fry the pc. i called HP but they could not give me an answer. the ps i now have has 3 screws and 1 offset on the back if it means anything. the parts dept at HP said they dont sell power supplies.
thanks,franco

#2 ·
It is quite possible that it would not be compatible. HP has put out systems with a different wiring than is standard. If this is the case with yours you could very well burn the motherboard thus making it useless.

The only way to tell is with a digital voltmeter and a wiring diagram of the standard plug to go by to check if they are wired the same.

#3 ·
I had a power supply from an old pavillion box die on me. After extensive searching, I eventually found that www.usereasy.com has the best "replacement" power supply list around. Just search for the exact model of your computer on that site, and it should come up with a list of power supplies that are compatible with that. Just be careful and double/triple check the information and dimensions to make sure you've got the right model number in the search.

The shear volume of products that have been put out by HP is simply amazing. There were probably 5 that were close enough to my product numbers, that I was very careful to verify that I had the right products before purchasing. Cost wasn't too bad either, ~$60 for a 350 watt replacement. The old supply had been a 188 watt model.

Oh, that reminds me, you'll have the best information to search with if you remove the existing power supply and have it in front of you when you go looking for the replacement.

Good luck,

-Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.