Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Power supply question

784 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
I currently have all my power connections taken up (2 SATA HD's, 1 IDE HD and 1 DVD Burner) my question is, can I buy a spliter\adapter so I can split one of them and hook up my lite on DVD drive to it too? It is a 425 watt PS so it should be able to handle it (i think)

thanks

#2 ·
Toyman said:
I currently have all my power connections taken up (2 SATA HD's, 1 IDE HD and 1 DVD Burner) my question is, can I buy a spliter\adapter so I can split one of them and hook up my lite on DVD drive to it too? It is a 425 watt PS so it should be able to handle it (i think)

thanks
Well I guess I answered my own question. I found one. The next question is is a 425 watt PS going to handle it without any noticable loss of power to everything else?

#5 ·
The quality of the ps is much more important than the wattage rating. As long as it is not on of those $25 ps, it should work ok. I would think that a ps of that wattage would have at least three double or triple molex connectors.

#6 ·
Do this..

First disconnect the power supply and hold it in your hand.. If it weighs less than 4 pounds, discard it. Next does it have more than one fan.. If not, discard it.

Better yet, don't take the chance, discard it and buy a new 500W or better Antec, Coolmax, Fortron, or Super-Flower PS..

Here, I'll even pick a decent one at a good cost out for you.. http://www.directron.com/4fan520wal.html

or this if you're looking for good looks as well:
http://www.directron.com/sf550ts.html

#7 ·
All good answers and appreciated. I've also done some checking around and have decided to go with the one I have and get the splitter, although gotrootdude opened my eyes to some better ps's for the future. From my understanding HD's are not that much of a drain on the PS so it looks like i am going to have two SATA HD's and 2 IDE HD's a DVD buner and a DVD drive running on it..... if needed I would just get one of the PS's that gotrootdude recommended.

Thanks again.

#8 ·
If you install all of those drives AND experience boot problems, then go with a higher wattage quality ps.
IMO the power supply is an often forgotten piece of hardware. In a modern system ie amd64 / p4 prescott the power supply becomes VERY important. Modern systems stress the ps quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.