Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Supply question...

935 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  hruiz14 
#1 ·
My friend has an HP Pavillion with an AMD Athlon XP that just all of a sudden stopped powering up. I haven't personally looked at it yet, but it sounds like the power supply to me. Its about 3 years old and he leaves it on 24/7. Anyways, he wants me to change his power supply for him. My question is What kind of power supply do those computers use? I mean like is there a certain type of mount or am i just gonna hve to open it up and take a look at it myself? Can i just get any kind? I've never taken apart a store bought computer and his warranty is up so he asked me to do it for him. I'm trying to price out a power supply but don't know what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
also check the wiring on the plug that goes into the mobo, that has to match exactly color for color, pin for pin otherwise you could fry the mobo.

#5 ·
Ok another question.... I picked up his computer and the green light on the back of the power supply turns on when i plug it in, but as soon as i hit the power button to start the computer the green light turns off. Does this sound like something is shorting out or is this a power supply going bad? I opened it up and it looks like a standard size but its only a 250W power supply. I wanna get him atleast a 350W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.