Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Supply Question

837 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Kagero 
#1 ·
I bought a new video card today, took it home and installed it. It didn’t work because I need to connect it to my power supply… Silly me… The video card box says a 300W or higher power supply is recommended. Mine is only 250. My question is, can I use the video card with just 250W’s or is the 300W’s a must? If I need 300, can I just buy a 300W power supply or do I have to upgrade something else along with it?

#2 ·
I would try using the card with your present power supply. It won't damage the card but don't be surprised if you have video or other problems. If everything else is OK then all you would need is a new PS. I f you do need a new supply then you should probably go higher than 300W to be sure you don't have trouble.

#5 ·
You could easily blow that power supply and possibly cause other peripheral damage as it failed, say to your motherboard etc.
It happens.........
Your 250w is probably quite old, and most likely generic in nature..... ie. not brimming with quality.
I'd be surprised if it was even running with 50% efficiency.

Go for at least a 400-500w branded and well rated power supply.
They only use as much power as is needed by the PC and there's little harm in having a few hundred watts of overhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.