1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply Question.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maree464, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maree464

maree464 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am upgrading my son's Pc...Here is a link to his Pc specs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/EMachines_T2865_Athlon_XP_2800_2_08_GHz/4507-3118_7-30603201.html

I am adding 1G of ram and buying him a Geforce 7800 graphics card (256 MB)

I was told he would need a bigger power supply first..considering the Pc came with only a 250w.

I looked on a few sites and they recommend a specific brand...a Bestec ATX-300-12e 300watt. I was hoping to go up to a 350watt (but this bestec doesn't even make a 350) or will 300 be fine? I usually always buy from newegg but they don't carry any bestec. So I guess my question is....is a 300w ok with the upgrades I am doing on his pc? Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The computer should be able to take a standard ATX power supply. Go for an Antec, FSP(Fortran), Sparkle, Emermax, or Thermaltake power supply of at least 400 watt or better.

3. DittoDude

DittoDude

I just put an Antec SP-350 (ATX) in my Dell 4600. I paid $60 at Staples but you can buy it on-line for under $50 (includes shipping) if you're willing to wait for delivery. Do a search at pricewatch.com.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

I agree Antec,Sparkle, Enermax or Thermaltake and minimum 400 watts. I believe the card needs a minimum 350 by itself.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice