Power supply question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maximusam2391

I have an old Dell 0M3918 Motherboard that has the original power supply. I'm looking to upgrade that power supply so that I can have more power, and most of the power supplies I've seen are 20 pin connectors. The board uses a 24 pin connector. Are these new PSUs compatible with my board? I can see they have a 4 pin connector that's 2x2, and my assumption is that you use that as well, but my PSU has one of those anyway and its currently plugged in at a different spot on the motherboard, well away from the main 24 pin connector.

All the 24-pin power supplies I've seen have a detachable four-pin part to make it compatible with the 20-pin boards. (The wiring is the same on the first 20 pins.) It usually is not visible in the product pictures; but, it is there. I have seen some detail pictures of supplies at NewEgg.com where you can see the demarkation point between the 20-pin part and the extra four pins. That's where it breaks.

As for the extra four-pin connection, that is separate entirely from the twenty-four pin part.

You can see fairly detailed pictures at NewEgg.

Most of the new power supplies do have 24 pin power connectors. Its been years and years since they used 20 pin main power connections.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts