1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply Replacement Causing Lag

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tarabear, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tarabear

tarabear Thread Starter

I just recently replaced an old power supply that had died on me. After I put a 600w in, the computer lags pretty bad. It wasn't lagging prior to the replacement. Any ideas?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, no one [other than you] has any idea what we are attempting to fix. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb installed, exact ram installed, video card installed, AND the exact pw supply you installed. Note do not post "500W" post the exact make and model#

3. tarabear

tarabear Thread Starter

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    EVGA 600B PSU
    DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 PC2-6400 (4GB total) Memory
    Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
    Wireless-N150 USB Adapter WNA1000
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @3.00Ghz
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @3.00Ghz

Did I get all the specs?

4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    which exact 4800 series card are you running?? Your PSU seems decent enough..but we need to know which card you have to be sure.

5. tarabear

tarabear Thread Starter

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Item | Value |
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Device Type | Display adapters |
    | Device Name | |
    | Description | ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series |
    | Manufacturer | Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. |
    | Location | PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0 |
    | Driver Provider | Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. |
    | Driver Version | 8.970.100.1100 |
    | Driver Date | 4-29-2013 |
    | Status Code | 0 |
    | Status Message | OK |
    | Class GUID | {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} |
    | Device ID | PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9440&SUBSYS_0851174B&REV_00\4&36A62D7E&0&0008 |

This is everything winaudit put up.

Also a side note, from time to time the PC will randomly turn off. I'm guessing it's overheating? I had a friend clean the processor and the heat sink and he put some sort of cream on it (sorry I don't know the lingo).

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    well take the side panel off and look at the actual card can you see any numbers on it???? My first guess would be overheating (still) or a bad /underpowered PSU.

7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    the PCI and VEN reference a 4250...but as far as I can tell that's a laptop GPU...so you'll have to provide the GPU info if possible.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is not uncommon for a pw supply failure to fry/damage other parts ie mb, ram, video card, etc.

First step would be to swap in a known good pw supply for testing. Note known good does not mean new; it means a quality unit pulled from a working system that you know works. A pw supply can be DOA or bad just like any other new part AND that will really mess up your troubleshooting.

If it is just not possible to swap in a known good unit, then do the following;
    1 Restart the system and enter the bios. Post the following info, cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V and 3.3V values.
    2 With the system OFF, get a bright light and give the board a VERY close inspection. Look for any leaking/bulging or discolored capacitors. In addition, look for any overheating or burn marks on the board.

9. tarabear

tarabear Thread Starter

UPDATE

So basically what I noticed was a lot of concern with the video card. I took it out, had it cleaned completely and put that cream on it. I downloaded TechPowerUp GPU-Z (a program designed to check the GPU's heat). Ran that before and after the cleaning and saw a major drop in heat. System performance is back up to normal and is no longer shutting off randomly.

Thank you all so much for your help. I would have completely overlooked this if I hadn't posted.

10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    ahh..an overheating card. Glad you got it sorted

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1121619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice