1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thr0xx, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thr0xx

thr0xx Thread Starter

I currently have a dell dimension 4600i with a 250watt power supply. i want to upgrade to at least a 400watt but im wary of picking one that wont fit in my pc. does anyone know of any power supplies that are better for dell pc's? they way dell built the computer does not allow for any hardware bigger than the original to fit. thanks for any help

2. bigbear

bigbear

As far as I am aware all Dell PSU's are proprietary to Dell, an "off the shelf psu" wont fit.
    You need to get an upgrade from Dell

3. thr0xx

thr0xx Thread Starter

4. bigbear

bigbear

Where are you in the world?

5. thr0xx

thr0xx Thread Starter

Virginia, USA

6. bigbear

bigbear

7. thr0xx

thr0xx Thread Starter

cool, thanks man

8. thr0xx

thr0xx Thread Starter

i just chatted with a dell rep and he told me this, "no need to upgrade power supply as Dell Rates power supplies at steady state whereas the video card mfg use Peak Usage. Peak power rating on 305 steady state is APPROX 460 watts"

he then said "it is but Dell power supplies are mentioned at steady state. However, the video card specifications mention the peak charges."

is it true that my 250watt psu will run any video card?

9. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee

Simply put, No. That is not true. I highly doubt that a Dell 250Watt PSU can run "any" PSU, nor would I risk it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/572625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice