1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VWM8534, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VWM8534

VWM8534 Thread Starter

My power supply bit the dust and I was wondering if it was safe to replace it with a higher wattage supply. The one I had was 300 watts and I was thinking of going with a 400 watt power supply. Is this okay or risky?

2. canadiantechie

canadiantechie

There should be no issue. In fact a 400W power supply will be better because you can hook up more devices such as hardrives without the risk of over drawing from the power supply. Definitly okay! Hope that helps.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No problem however do buy a quality power supply. Stay away from the $25 400W ps.

4. canadiantechie

canadiantechie

Very good point. Stay away from cheap power supplies or you may be replacing it faster then you would like. Cheap power supplies cause more trouble. Output a bit more and you will be much happier in the long term. :)

5. VWM8534

VWM8534 Thread Starter

Thanks to all who responded. I thought that it would be fine, but wanted a second opinion.

6. bigbear

bigbear

Lets hope the PSU did not take out any other hardware when it "bit the dust".
    I also agree with previous comments, go for a good quality PSU Thermaltake are my favourites

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/579488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice