1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply Spark

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Robsy128, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

Hey all :)

I was upgrading my PC yesterday with an Nvidia 670. It was all plugged in (aside from one power supply connection). It was then that I realised I needed to change my power supply. A bit silly, I know, I know. Let's not go into it here. Anyway, I went around the back of the PC and completely forgot that the power was still plugged in. It was then that I saw a small red switch which said 230V but it was half on, which I thought was a bit odd. I thought it might be dangerous to have it on halfway and so flipped it, thinking it would be okay. The next thing I knew, there was a spark inside the power supply and now it won't switch on at all. I believe the power supply has been fried, but I'm worried about the other components, like the Nvidia 670 which cost me £300!

Do you think everything has been fried, or is it just the power supply?
    If the components have been fried, would Nvidia replace the brand new graphics card?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could be just the power supply, that switch sets the voltage for either 115 volts if you are in North America or 230 volts if you are in Europe. The only way you'll know is to test it with a new power supply, and it should be a quality brand 600 Watt if you are using the system for gaming with a Geforce GTX 670.

3. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

I'm in England, so I'm guessing it's 230 volts. I guess I'll have to save up my pennies and buy a new power supply as soon as I can and then test it that way. The power supply I have at the moment is only a 550 watt and well, like I said - it's as dead as a dodo :/

4. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

If it was a good quality power supply your motherboard and other hardware should be fine. Quality power supplies have over-voltage and surge protection that should stop the surge from spreading to the motherboard.

5. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

That's the thing... I'm not really sure if my power supply is a good quality one. My Dad bought it for me when I was upgrading my PC two years ago from a trusted local hardware supplier. He sold us another Octigen power supply that was 550 Watts and said it would be okay for the system I was trying to build (which it was). But as I said... I made one small mistake and now I'm worried that the brand new £300 graphics card might have just blown up :/

6. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

7. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

It was powered up when it happened, yeah. I think so, anyway. The only power supply connections that weren't plugged in were the spare ones that usually plug into the graphics card. Well, I had one plugged into the graphics card because that's all that was available with that power supply. Hopefully that makes sense... it's getting near 5pm so naturally sleepy time is nearing haha.

8. dai

dai

9. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

10. dai

dai

the psu should run it although i would prefer a 750w

11. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

I'm looking at the reviews and a lot of people are saying that that particular PSU breaks after about 4 -8 weeks of normal use, which isn't really good to be honest.

12. dai

dai

13. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

14. dai

dai

the one i put in my daughters computer has been running for 5yrs without a hiccup

with corsair only

tx,hx.ax.axi models only

the gs is not a recommended unit and overclockers is not a recommended place either

the amazon site is uk located

15. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice