1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power supply turns off durring windows startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J. Powers, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. J. Powers

J. Powers Thread Starter

Ok here is a wierd one... I decided to clean out my tower the other day becuase it was so dusty... When I plugged my computer back in it shut down as soon as windows started up. I could play all day in cmos setup and when I exit and reboot it will go to the black screen with the windows logo. It appears as though the second it tries to load the windows enviroment it shuts down. Things I tried: Plugged a power supply in from a different computer same problem, (So not Power Supply). Then thought Windows was messed up, so... I ran ActiveKillDisk and formatted the harddrive and continued to re-install windows xp. It made it to the blue setup screen and as soon was ready to leave the blue screen and load the windows enviroment, "sure enough ShutDown. (So problem was not hard disk) I am thinking that maybe the processor or mother board shuts down when entering s 32 bit mode for some reason. "But I really don't know" "Does anyone have an answer?" PLease!!!

2. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

Could be the HDD, can you try another one? Strange that it went when you were "cleaning", did you touch the HDD at all? Maybe you statically damaged it.

3. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Sounds like you have dislodged something whilst cleaning inside the case.
    Re-seat all of the RAM
    Check that the heatsink is in place and that CPU fan is plugged in
    With the HDD unplugged does it still power down after a few seconds?
    Do you get any bleeps? if so what?

4. J. Powers

J. Powers Thread Starter

Thank you Jack for you advice it led to the resolution. You mentioned the CPU fan. I did remove the pu fan to blow the dust out and when I replaced the heat sink/fan I frotated it 180 degrees. Un-aware that it is not symetrical in the bottom. So I removed it and rotated it back to its original placement, and sure as heck it now continues with windows Setup. I knew there had to be a relationship with the computer only powering down when leaving the "Dos Enviroment" and going to "Windows Enviroment". I know the CPU works harder in the Windows Enviroment and still am amazed that the placement of the HeatSink/Fan plays that big of a factor in the operation of the Computer. I was starting to believe that maybe I damaged the CPU, putting the heatsink back on. So thankyou much for your suggestions leading to the resolution to my problem.

Justin Powers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice