1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply: Which is best for now and the future....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WhiteHat.exe, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteHat.exe

WhiteHat.exe Thread Starter

I am in the market for a new power supply (PSU), and I want one that be able to sufficiently provide current AND future parts. My current configuration is:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+
    nVidia GeForce 7900GTX in SLI
    ASUS-A8N SLI Deluxe
    Corsair XMS RAM 2GB (2 x 1GB)
    Plextor PX-760A
    Seagate HD 300GB SATA
    Antec NeoHE 480 (and I recently discovered this power supply has been discontinued)
    2x Cathodes
    1x watercooling pump (very low voltage though)

Now, I have thouroughly been researching various brands and models of PSU's. I found great articles on how to choose the right one for you, and how price relates to quality, if at all. and have come down to 3 choices:

Thermaltake Toughpower 750W (or 850W?) (high-efficiency, industrial grade materials)
    OCZ GameXstream 750 (similar to above)
    Antec NeoHE 550W (efficiency >80%, stable Rails)

My most likely choice of those 3, (4 if you include the toughpower 850), is the ThermalTake Toughpower. However, with the release of the G80 series (like the GeForce 8800's which requires 4 PCI-e cables for SLI), the Toughpower 850 would be good for future products like the G80 series because it includes up to 4 PCI-e cables. I have to choose either the Toughpower 850W or 750W, and there is a BIG price gap, almost $100!

Like I mentioned before, I want a power supply which will last me for a long time. As we all know, technology changes at an exponential rate.

So, my question is:

Which of these (or if you know better ones), power supplies is the best for current and future PC products?

P.S. - I think it would be nice if this topic of Power Supplies would become a discussion as well

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

3. hejlik

hejlik

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice