1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power supply, which one would you buy for your gaming computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tyler2015, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tyler2015

tyler2015 Thread Starter

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Both are likely overkill. But either should work just fine.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would pass on both. The EVGA is made by Enhance which is a really poor quality Psu and the Corsair is made by Flextronics which is even worse. Best IMHO are Seasonic, XFX and Antec HCG and Neo Eco. Use those and you can drop down your wattage to 600 and have a much better Psu. 1200 watts is almost completely unnecessary for any computer I can think except the very poorest quality psu that won't deliver that no matter what it says anyway.

4. replay

replay

The corsair CORSAIR AX1200i is obviously designed by corsair and manufactured to their specs
    Regardless as to who actually builds it
    It has positive reviews all over the web
    It has a 7 year warranty, any psu company who gives 7 years warranty is more than confident in their product!!!
    Apple products are made in China......by Foxconn!!!!
    If u remember Foxconn was not a high end back in the day .....but Apple products Were and still are very high quality
    And of course designed by Apple and built to their high standards

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Foxconn also mfg mb for intel. Intel has not mfg their own boards in years.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes Foxconn does do many Intel boards to Intel standards but remember something. Intel used to make them. Corsair has never manufactured anything and from the performance of their newer psus would indicate that. The CX or so called "Builder Series" of Corsair was never made by anyone but junk makers and they continue to wear badly and take other components with them if they blow out the way Bestec and HiPro units do.
    And warranties mean nothing IMHO as long as mfgrs continue replacing with re-manufactured hardware which makes them a lot of money. When a new product wears out they replace them with a used one. So if it goes right away, you in fact paid the price for a new component but in reality bought a used one. Hard drive makers have been doing this for years and getting away with it.

7. replay

replay

this statement is totally inaccurate....yes they are manufactured by a different company
    i have been building (and selling) with the cx series for years (not gaming computers)
    used numerous units over the years never had a problem but one time which was a capacitor whine...... corsair replaced with a brand new unit!!!
    for the price you can't go wrong

8. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Every review I've read on the CX line is not very favorable, but to each their own. The PSU is an area that should only be of upper tier quality for obvious reasons. To the poster: 1200 watts is pure overkill unless you are planning on running three high end graphics cards. What are the components you will be using for the gamming computer?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Good point AMD Man 1200 watts is really over the top. I wasn't really looking at my own experience but I did buy six of them about 2 years ago and none of them lasted more than 6 months in very ordinary systems. That was enough for me.

10. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

The problem with Corsair now is they use different manufactures and you never know who actually manufactured it. They may design them, but have no control what type of inners are being used. It's all about cutting costs nowadays for Corsair.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's exactly right. I have seen it happen in ram where the same model number was two different manufacturers based on the batch and that makes continuity very difficult because they change makers so often. The makers in Psus change all the time as well so you really don't know what you are buying.

12. Blu_86

Blu_86

I want you to qualify that statement - with facts. Keep in mind you said "every review". So lets break it down. What is "every review"? where did you read all these reviews? List the sites please. One by one. When you do that we will break them down.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

14. replay

replay

from your own link
    1,117 5 star ratings
    and the 1st post is a guy who is gaming with it with a GTX670 which requires a minimum of 600w psu!!!!
    this is a classic example of people not using the cx series for what they were designed for
    it states CLEARLY on the corsair website

CX Series PC power supplies are an excellent choice for basic system builds

so take that into account and some bad reviews are unavoidable....
    if you ever have any issues with corsair and their products....just call them,they will ALWAYS take care of the customer
    memory/cases and psu's they are a class act

Attached Files:

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Of course replay I know that I was just accommodating Blu. There is an ocean of reviews on anything out there and the truth be known it is easier to find a negative than a positive review anyway because writing about a bad experience is more meaningful to the user with a problem than it is to ones who don't have any issues. In other words people will complain quicker than praise. My problem is with who I know is the maker which is CWT because psu is one place where the brand does matter. Does that mean CWT cannot make a good Psu, well no of course not again Foxconn is a splendid example and so is AS Rock once they started making their own boards. Making it though is a truer test than designing it for me anyway.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice