1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply Working Outside of Case, No Power In Case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lukewcfc, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukewcfc

lukewcfc Thread Starter

I have two systems, an Optiplex 790 and another PC with a A68HM-Plus board and a A8-7690k. The power supply that came with that system (bit of a scrapyard wars build) is working fine now, computer is booted up as I type this. However, I'm having an issue with my Optiplex system that I've not had since I bought it over a year ago now. That system has had a CIT Active 550 watt PSU in for just over a year when I bought a graphics card for it and everything was running fine. I then bought the A8 system and wanted to swap the graphics cards, meaning I needed to swap to a different power supply as it did not have a 6pin connector on it. No problem, swapped PSU. The problem is that it is all very tempremental. The power supply has worked outside of the case, but is not working inside the case. Just to clarify, it is not always working outside of the case either. So I bought another PSU, a Corsair 500w PSU because I assumed the problem was with the PSU. This also has the same problem, where it occasionally works outside of the case, but never when it is installed in the Optiplex 790 case. I reseated the RAM and that got the system working with both the CIT and Corsair power supplies, but only outside of the case. Could something in the case be shorting out both power supplies when installed in the chassis?

I'm at a complete loss, if you have any other questions (which I'm sure you will as I've explained this terribly) please feel free to ask.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice