1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dragonkx, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

hi, i have two bfg 9600 gt which require a minimum of 24 amps each i beleive, but i am still new at this so i got a 630 watt modular power supply, but i am not sure how to ready the diagram of wattage, i know newbish. For the pci express cables are they the +12v1 anv +12v2 or the +5v? I need to know so i might have to return my power supply

2. BG-0

BG-0

On the 12v1 and 12v2. How much is there on them? How much is the max combined load of the 12 V rails?
    I'd say you'll be fine, as long as the PSU is high quality, still, post the info here.

3. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

Yeah i thought it was the 12v1 and 12v2 well the amp doesnt seem much bfg 9600 gt requires a 24 amp min, and it requires "425W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 28A or more (Minimum system power requirement based on a standard PC configured with an Intel® Core™2 Extreme X6800 processor)" im not sure if they mean it for the whole wire including the two wires total or 28a each. but anyways my i got two power supply both sli capable, they arent expensive but around 100. One has 2 12v rails of about 18a each with a total of 630 watt. and one more power supply at 23a each at 730 watt. Both are unopened, so im plannin on returning one. Im wondering does that 28 watt they recommend is that for sli total or just for 1 card, have to ask them

4. BG-0

BG-0

It's for 1.. Wait.. Yeah, it's for one card. The 630 W one should be enough, but I would use the bigger one. Just to be sure and keep your system healthy by avoiding maximum stress on the PSU.
    It's your choice, but I highly recommend the bigger one. What's their brand(s)?

5. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

hi, well I originally had a corsair 1000 watt, but my brother accidently burnt it out when one of the cables bent back and one of the power points on the connector touched one of the drives and fried the whole wire. Smoke was everywhere lol. Well I said i didnt care but he bought me a raidmax 730, i know its not as good as my old one but he was on a budget and he is my brother. So anyways you think when they said 28 amps they mean on the whole strip combined or 28 amps per connector on the rail recomended?

6. BG-0

BG-0

It would need 28 on a single rail. But... Hmm. That includes the power draw of the CPU and other 12 V powered devices. So 23(24, that's what raidmax site says) amps only for the 9600GT on one rail and another rail to supply power to other 12 V components would be enough.

7. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, guess i'll open it up later and put it to the test

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

When using high amperage video cards, processors and other components, power supplys with two +12v rails should not be used.

If the power supply is built to ATX specs, the +12v2 rail will be isolated and dedicated for the processor.

For trouble free operation I would suggest a power supply with either a single +12v rail of around 60 amps, or if you want a power supply with multiple +12v2 rails, I would look for a unit with at least three or more +12v rails rated at 17-19 amps on each +12v rail.

Personally, I would stay away from modular power supplys since with modular units you can have power loss at each connection, and each connection is a potential source of problems that you don't have with hard wired power supplys.

In looking for a power supply you should choose one where the advertised output is calculated at 40-50C. Power supplys such as the PC Power & Cooling 750 (and others) which use a large single +12v rail in my opinion are preferred since with a large single +12v rail you don't have to be concerned with "power sharing" between +12v rails.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Power supplies are generally rated for sli and will show what series of cards they can support; ie 2x79xx or 2x88xx, etc. Make sure the one you get is both rated for sli AND rated for the cards you use or higher.

10. BG-0

BG-0

Got to agree with win2k, but just tried to be a bit hopeful.

It's such a shame that your extremeley great Corsair 1000W got replaced by a crappü pair of Raidmax PSUs.. Especially modular.. If possible, if you can afford it. Get rid of them, and get for example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...39006&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-17-139-006-_-Homepage to get a great semi-cheap.

Or if you can't afford that, get something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341001 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010 (beware of the short main power connector!) or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015 etc...

11. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice i think i might get that corsair 750 that was actually my first choice in replacement, but the raidmax was about the same price give or take so i guess he chose to get the raidmax because of the 40 dollar rebate or something, anyways i'll get another one. One of the reasons why i wanted the corsair was because i heard they were good for gaming so i even got their corsair dominator rams. anyways thanks for the input but does the corsair 750 has a rating on which geforce card it can be used up to or u think it doesnt matter?

12. BG-0

BG-0

Well, with 60 A on a single 12 V rail it is well enoug for even a GTX280 or maybe two GTX 260s.. So your 9600 GT will be a piece of cake for it. :)

13. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

thanks for the input, but isnt the 60 amp on the 12v rail max so because it has like 4 pci express connectors doesnt that mean it is split into 4 or something like that or is it still 60 amps each?

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

On a single +12v rail, the leads from the +12v source are not amperage specific.

For instance if your Q9300 processor requires 13 A continuos of +12v amperage, 13 A will be pulled from the source. If another +12v lead requires 6A of +12v amperage, 6 A will be pulled from the source, if another +12v lead requires 4 A, 4 A will be pulled from the source, etc.

15. BG-0

BG-0

Does a Q9300 really take that much power all the time? 156 W? Or were you just listing random numbers? :p
    But yes, with a single 12 V rail you won't need to worry about power distribution. If you have enough power for all the components, then you have enough and that's that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice