1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheShortFellow, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheShortFellow

TheShortFellow Thread Starter

Ok, So I've built my own PCs for some time now. However, my power supply is some thing I've always been a bit iffy on. I've put a lot of money into my PC (Which by now, what was the high-tech stuff is now ancient.) and I'd love to put a lot more into it, but I am trying to be a bit tight on my spending.

My problem is, Power supplies, are of course, pricey; and I'd like to upgrade my PC graphics, by buying two 8800s and using SLI. I am currently running -

*CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    *Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
    *ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
    *Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model
    *MSI NX8600GT Twin Turbo GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

I also have a 500 gig ATA100, as well as a 250 gig ATA100. I am currently running off a nice quality 500 watt. I am hoping to buy two 8800GTS cards for SLI and use them in place of the 8600 as well as by a 3rd HD, probably being a 500gig Sata/3g.b

Now I honestly don't know what kind of power supply will be needed to run my machine once all the new pieces are in place. I am almost positive that my old power supply won't be able to support it. Any ideas on what would be a "Safe zone" for the PSU and I don't need overkill, because I'm trying to save some money here. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions will be helpful!

2. Compiler

Compiler

(okay a paste from me)
    9800GT which replaced the discountinued 8800GT is what you should look at:

9800GT singe slot: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130380
    9800GT Dual slot: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130397

Note: 9800 / 8800 cards generate a lot of heat... You may want to look at a bit cooler running ATI 4850 card... or the slower 4670 card. A dual slot card will help exhaust the heat.
    ----------------

Top level PSUs:
    OCZ, FSP, Seasonic, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Zalman, SilverStone, Gigabyte

Good PSUs:
    Antec, Enermax, Sparkle, Coolermaster. (some of these are TOP end)

Should Avoid:
    Aerocool, Apevia, Apex, Athena, Chieftex, coolmax, Dynapower, e-power, Linkworld, Powmax, raidmax. Many of these are exactly the same thing.

I'd say a good quality 750~850watt PSU should handle that.

3. BG-0

BG-0

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Don't ever cut yourself short on a power supply. You can have the finest motherboard, processor, video cards, etc., but if you don't have a good quality power supply, to supply the current you need, you have nothing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice