1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Supply

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pbade, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pbade

pbade Thread Starter

I have a XP that broke for some reason
    so i got a windows vista, im a gamer and i want a new video card like a geforce 9 seres but
    they req a min of 450 power supply, i currently have like a 350. But that Xp has a 500 wat
    can i transfer the power supplys?

2. sen10r

sen10r

So your XP computer broke, and you brought a Vista machine, and want to install a geforce 9 series card in your Vista machine? You want to transfer the power supplies

Not a bad idea, but make sure the PSU in your XP machine isn't broken lol. And what brand are the machines? If they are by name-brand manufacturers, then swapping the PSUs is impossible - unique connectors. I think you may have a name-brand machine -- the low power PSU.

3. pbade

pbade Thread Starter

my vista is a Dell
    the xp is a compaq
    P.S.
    my orginal power supply on the vista broke, so i got it replaced with the 350 watt

4. joeten

joeten

HI and welcome to TSGF as far as psu's go they generally have around 20% tolerance allowed on them this is never in the + side always seems to be on the minus so a 500w psu would therefore actually really only output 400w to get 500w output you would be looking at 630w

5. pbade

pbade Thread Starter

ty for the welcome
    the video cards mostly req a 450 watt so im guessing that a 500 watt would do it right?

6. joeten

joeten

Hi the short answer is no the reason i say that is 500w - 20% = 400w so you need to look at 570w which would be easier to say 600w

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/869694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice