power supplys

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stanggt2

I was looking at a 350 watt power supply today and it said at 12v it was 15 amp now. can I use it to run something else and how would you jump the wires so that it would come on I would like to try it. If I went out and bought a 10 amp power supply from radio shack it would cost $80.00. help please

crjdriver

Here is a wiring schematic for an ATX ps. You can read it, however you just short wires 14 and 15 to turn on the ps. Note: you must have a load on the ps, when doing this procedure.

Attachments

stanggt2

OK I got it figured out the pic is of the motherboard. But now if the PS says 15 amp at 12V do you have to put the hot wires together because I put a load on it and all I could get was 0.4 amps. The load I put on it needs about 5 amps the load came on just not much power

In order to get 12V rated at a maximum load of 15 amps you need to connect the leads from the 12V device you are trying to use to one of the yellow wires (+12V) and one of the black wires (ground). You must also have the green wire jumpered to one of the black wires for the power supply to work.

Kilowatt

stanggt2

that is what I tried but I am still not getting enough amps out of it

crjdriver

Have you hooked up the device you are trying to power to the ps leads? The ps will only supply as much amperage as necessary to keep the voltage at 12V. If you are trying to power something that requires 15 amps @12V constantly, I would rethink this whole thing since a computer ps is not made to run at max power output continuously. A 350W ps is rated to put out that wattage [combination of 12V, 5V and 3.3V] only for a short time. Pulling max wattage from any section of the ps will lead to failure in a short period of time.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm not sure about ATX power supplies, but older AT style power supplies had to have a load on the +5V supply to regulate properly. I always plop a large automotive bulb onto the +5V supply when I'm testing them on the bench, and they've always delivered full current.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online