Power Surge - now my USB ports are not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ajsmith595

I had a power surge, and this caused my motherboard USB ports to stop working: there was no power being given by them. My case USB ports, however, were still working. I thought, because my PSU was quite old, I should get a new PSU, and I did. Unfortunately, this did not work. I have tried many things: unplugged the PC, and pressed the power button for 15 seconds, plug it back in and power on; updating drivers; getting a new PSU. It's really annoying that I spent my money on a PSU then it doesn't even solve the problem. I have looked around and seen it might be that my USB ports have been fried. All the other ports on my motherboard are still working though....
Should I get a USB hub, or should I try to fix it?

Triple6

Rob
A hub won't fix dead ports, unless you intend to plug it into the remaining working ports.

I'd get an add-in USB 3.0 card instead.

You didn't give any details on your computer but if you have a modern computer with PCI-Express slots then get a USB 3.0 PCI-Express, if you have an older computer with only PCI slots then you'll need a plain PCI card. Here's some examples: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...scription=usb+3.0+card&N=100160874&isNodeId=1

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online