1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power surge/usb port not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tinna, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinna

tinna Thread Starter

Jul 8, 2012
    I'm using Dell n7110, Win 7

Recently I bought usb fan (small one, not the pad) and it worked good for few days, then I started to get this message:

Power Surge in hub
    A USB device has exceeded the power limits of it's hub port. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.

I've read lots of posts about this but can't find the solution.
    I have 3 usb ports, now only one of them works. I can't have 2 usb cables or anything plugged in at once.

Help :(
  2. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

May 12, 2011
    The error usually means a USB device is drawing too much power. It may or may not have already caused USB power damage. If the issue only arises when using a particular device, then that device is likely the cause and/or faulty. If it now occurs with all devices, I'd suspect the USB controller is damaged/faulty.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060119